Strange Inheritance

TerryB

Lt. Colonel
I don't get to watch this show often, but I've seen three outstanding collections people inherited. One was the most complete collection of antique baseball cards in the world. It was bringing in hundreds of thousands at auction. Another was owned by a direct descendant of Gen. George Pickett that included lots of the general's memorabilia. The owner was told by an unscrupulous agent that the collection wasn't worth much, who then turned around and sold it to a museum for an enormous sum, sparking a lawsuit.

The best was a militaria collection of a WWII vet, a graduate of the Citadel, who died in 2010. The collection included some awesome ACW relics, including a CS carbine that sold for $48,000 and a battle log from Spottsylvnia that fetched $20,000. The owner had a lifetime of collection, starting right after WWII, for which he probably paid no more than $10,000 altogether. The items fetched over $500,000.

Sounds like an interesting show...

I've often thought that if afforded the opportunity of foreseeing the approach of the end of my journey, I would like to do what my Grandfather did - in his mid-80's he decided to sell his entire collection of antiques (restored cars & tractors mostly, other stuff as well) BEFORE he died, rather than to leave it all to his heirs to figure out what to do, etc., after he had passed. It was a family decision, not just his, but it gave him great joy to see his beloved collection, restored and worked on over decades with his own hands, go to new owners who valued and cherished his "toys" in the same way he did. If anyone of us in the family wanted one of his cars or tractors, we could just bid & buy in the auction.

I'm not a major collector of anything, really, not like my Grandfather was, but if fate permits and the family is agreeable, I would plan to do the same... most heirs want cash, and whatever one collects doesn't typically mean as much to them.

Sounds like an interesting show...

I've often thought that if afforded the opportunity of foreseeing the approach of the end of my journey, I would like to do what my Grandfather did - in his mid-80's he decided to sell his entire collection of antiques (restored cars & tractors mostly, other stuff as well) BEFORE he died, rather than to leave it all to his heirs to figure out what to do, etc., after he had passed. It was a family decision, not just his, but it gave him great joy to see his beloved collection, restored and worked on over decades with his own hands, go to new owners who valued and cherished his "toys" in the same way he did. If anyone of us in the family wanted one of his cars or tractors, we could just bid & buy in the auction.

I'm not a major collector of anything, really, not like my Grandfather was, but if fate permits and the family is agreeable, I would plan to do the same... most heirs want cash, and whatever one collects doesn't typically mean as much to them.
Some of these collectors would qualify as hoarders. You often hear on the show that they could not bear to part with anything and would designate one or more of their children to be the one to "find a home" for the items.

Some of these collectors would qualify as hoarders. You often hear on the show that they could not bear to part with anything and would designate one or more of their children to be the one to "find a home" for the items.
It is an interesting show.the one about a collection of insects was really different, then a family inherited a 128 foot tall thermoset in the middle of the desert .another family inherited a amusement park.the story of the Pickett relics we all know but they do a pretty good job about it.

It is an interesting show.the one about a collection of insects was really different, then a family inherited a 128 foot tall thermoset in the middle of the desert .another family inherited a amusement park.the story of the Pickett relics we all know but they do a pretty good job about it.
I must have been the last one to know about the Pickett inheritance.

The artist who painted Indian life was also very good.

I have recorded the show, but lately I had four new shows. All of which I had watched before: the gal who inherited a movie theater, the teener who inherited a winery, etc.

Back