Starting Points

M2HA

Private
I wanted to throw out a question or two and see what type of response they would garner, as I am sure the viewpoints of the individuals in these forums will vary greatly.

The first is this: When considering the cast number of Civil War battlefields in this country, which ones are worthy of Preservation? Is the answer "all of them?" The National Park Service classifies battles in three ways: Class A - Decisive; Class B - Major; and Class C/D - other.

In my home state, Wilson's Creek, Island Number 10, and West Port meet the Class A designation. Wilson's Creek is preserved very well and administered by the NPS.

When last I checked, Island Number 10 had no significant commemoration (admittedly the island no longer exists).

Westport has a battle field and a Preservation organization, though I do not believe the battlefield is well marketed. I am a lifelong Missourian who has never visited the site.

There are sites that are state parks (Athens in northeast Missouri, Fort Davidson in Southeast Missouri) and some locally controlled sites. Other sites have no significant Preservation work.

So - where do we start? What should be preserved that isn't already done so in some fashion or another?

Also, has anyone been involved in an effort to preserve a battlefield - whether nationally, state wide, or locally? Was it successful? How did you get involved? What did you find that worked? What were the biggest challenges?

I thought this might be a good philosophical thread in the Preservation thread.

Thanks for sharing this interesting and awesome questions! Sorry but I have no clue. :nah disagree:
But just wait a little while and someone will be along to answer your questions.

Back