Spy Networks (Both Sides)

Robtweb1

2nd Lieutenant
Retired Moderator
Annual Winner
I would like to pose a question concerning undercover agents for both sides. What I know is the Pinkerton oranisation on the union side. Lincoln and other officials were protected by the military. On the Confederate side, there wasn't an official agency that did this work, but there were plenty of operatives out there, particularly in the Washington/Baltimore area. There was of course the people convicted of assassinating Lincoln and their contact with Confederate agents operating out of Canada.

Does anyone have more info or can you point me to previous threads on the subject?

I would like to pose a question concerning undercover agents for both sides. What I know is the Pinkerton oranisation on the union side. Lincoln and other officials were protected by the military. On the Confederate side, there wasn't an official agency that did this work, but there were plenty of operatives out there, particularly in the Washington/Baltimore area. There was of course the people convicted of assassinating Lincoln and their contact with Confederate agents operating out of Canada.

Does anyone have more info or can you point me to previous threads on the subject?
It was the agents IN Canada who were in the main the "organized" Confederate resistance and spy apparatus, led by shadowy figure Jacob Thompson who was likely more interested in helping himself to at least some of the funds with which he was entrusted to get the job done. One of their more or less successful enterprises was the November, 1864 attack on New York City depicted faithfully in this - of all things - comic book treatment I posted previously: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/confederate-saboteurs-in-new-york-city-in-comics.151747/ There were other incidents of sabotage like the massive 1864 wharf explosion at City Point likely caused by a "lump-of-coal" bomb that were likely organized and financed by the group.

I find the spy network established by Elizabeth Van Lew that placed Mary Elizabeth Bowser inside the Confederate White House fascinating.
Do you have a link to anything about that? Not familiar with it, so I'd like to read up on it.

Gimlet Media produced a podcast about the Civil War titled Uncivil. They had one episode specifically about Van Lew and Bowser. Here's a link to the website for this episode, although I personally prefer to download podcasts using iTunes.

This episode is specifically titled "The Ring." If you don't want to listen to the podcast, you can read the episode transcript at the link that I posted.

.......inside the Confederate White House.......

I understand that you used that term as a metaphor for the Confederate Administration or the Confederate Presidency. But I would like to point out that the Confederacy had several capitals and I don't know if the President's office or residence in any of them was actually a white house. Just a little clarification for anyone reading who did not know.

Edited: Learn something new every day. My initial response prompted me to do a little searching and it appears there was an actual "white house" for Davis in the Confederate capital cities. Who'd a thunk it?

Back to topic.

Last edited:
It's busy today- if I can I'll dig up Van Lew's diary. JPK's brother was rescued by her, he died in her home- he's in their family plot. It got me interested in her. Everything you read as a kid about spies, she did. Codes, false bottomed shoes, secret rooms, eating evidence- it was crazy.

George Sharp ( Sharpe? ) was the real deal, wish I could remember from the top of my head what was his rank.He and his peers were seperate from Pinkerton's gang- yes, will look up that link too. When my imaginary memory kicks in. Had one once.

I thank you all for the information. Now, has anyone seen anything about Confederate covert counterespionage efforts within Richmond itself? They knew union spies were there, so what did they do about it?

Back