Spotsylvania

I'm curious about what others think. Haven't read any books on the battle myself but I know Gordon Rhea has written extensively on the Overland Campaign. Not sure why this one ends on May 12,1864 as the title says. It's my understanding that the action at Spotsylvania didn't end on May 12th. I know Mr. Rhea followed that book up with his next one on the North Anna River.

518HADXDH6L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Definitely recommend Gordon Rhea's book. It's part of his series on the campaign though, so it follows on into his installment on North Anna.

Edit: And I mean that the rest of the battle (May 13 - 21) is told in his next book on North Anna.

Last edited:
Rhea’s book may be the best but for me I found his writing style difficult and had to put it down. Again just one man’s opinion. And I was really disappointed too since I bought it right after visiting the battlefield and really wanted to learn a lot more.

For anything Overland, one can't go wrong with Gordon Rhea's books. But I understand that his writing isn't for everybody. I would also second the recommendations of A Season of Slaughter and the Spotsylvania section of Bloody Roads South.

Ryan

Back