Soldier's Orphan Schools

Shannon Wolf

Private
I stumbled on this completely by accident doing Genealogy research.
This is a report from 1902 that lists the soldiers and their units and the names of their children as well as which parent is deceased.
https://books.google.com/books?id=RR9GAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA39&lpg=PA39&dq=ammerman's+of+pennsylvania&source=bl&ots=p9OJbAmdyi&sig=lzKF-gtMjN5HACVI1j5jGl64S28&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiwteXBopbfAhWmct8KHQt3CTw4HhDoATAJegQIABAB#v=onepage&q&f=false

I found this book as well:
The Civil War soldiers' orphan schools of Pennsylvania, 1864-1889 : an untold story
(a $1.99 Kindle Edition)

Has anyone else run into these before? I was a little baffled at first as these soldiers had to have been quite late in life for the children in the 1902 report.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

JAGwinn

Retired User
Thank you for the link to the report. 1864 was 56 years in 1920. If the soldier were only 18 in 1856 then, yes, he would have been an old new father.
Many widows with children married survivors of the war and shared in the benefits of the veteran, including children of the widow. I've seen this on Pension Cards.

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Grgrgrandfather remarried a much younger woman after my grgrgrandmother died. It blew apart the family, from what we can see. Mom knew the post Civil War generation, this rankled into new generations. You just reminded me Shannon- got an email through Ancestry some years ago. Relation of the young woman is still mad the family rejected her- I got both barrels. How funny is that? I declined to continue a 100 year old feud.......

Rats. now am interested to discover where Reading's school was. This is a terrific source, thanks very much for posting it!

Do not see Gettysburg's, unsurprising, maybe. It was a lovely gesture based on a poignant story, became a horror story. Can't remember the year it closed, may be before 1902. You don't hear a lot about it.

Shannon Wolf

Private
I'm doing more research to see if I can find more of these schools. I keep getting hits with the Orphan Trains. I never thought of where all those Orphans stemmed from before this. Down the rabbit hole I go. Orphan Schools were apparently the Civil war solution initially. They are proving illusive to find out more information. A lot of the info is from Pennsylvania the book in this link does seem like an overblown pat on the back for those who created the schools.

Last edited:

Shannon Wolf

Private
I am reading the 1877 report and just discovered something that surprised me. On page 29 "7. Punishment.—Pupils can not be expelled from a Soldiers' Orphans' School, no matter what the offense may be, or how incorrigible the offender. As things are, it is not strange that cases occasionally occur which re- quire severity. Corporal punishment is sometimes inflicted as a last resort. But the habitual use of the rod or strap for every slight offense is a brutal and brutalizing practice, which, when discovered, has been rebuked. A home-like feeling pervades most of the schools." It never occurred to me that corporal punishment would be such a hot button issue in that time frame.

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
I am reading the 1877 report and just discovered something that surprised me. On page 29 "7. Punishment.—Pupils can not be expelled from a Soldiers' Orphans' School, no matter what the offense may be, or how incorrigible the offender. As things are, it is not strange that cases occasionally occur which re- quire severity. Corporal punishment is sometimes inflicted as a last resort. But the habitual use of the rod or strap for every slight offense is a brutal and brutalizing practice, which, when discovered, has been rebuked. A home-like feeling pervades most of the schools." It never occurred to me that corporal punishment would be such a hot button issue in that time frame.
Thanks for adding this.

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Would have to look at dates, wondering if the corporal punishment statement came after abuses at the Gettysburg asylum were revealed? It was a horrible story, not the most dedicated disciplinarian would have approved.

When I started school here in PA every principal's off featured The Paddle. On display, children eyeballed that thing every morning- ours was HUGE, had holes drilled in it ( for aerodynamics? ). Never had anyone paddled although teachers relished telling stories all about what happened to Bad John Smith last year. Would like to point out we're in a PA Dutch area, notoriously big softies when it comes to children.

Shannon Wolf

Private
Would have to look at dates, wondering if the corporal punishment statement came after abuses at the Gettysburg asylum were revealed? It was a horrible story, not the most dedicated disciplinarian would have approved.

When I started school here in PA every principal's off featured The Paddle. On display, children eyeballed that thing every morning- ours was HUGE, had holes drilled in it ( for aerodynamics? ). Never had anyone paddled although teachers relished telling stories all about what happened to Bad John Smith last year. Would like to point out we're in a PA Dutch area, notoriously big softies when it comes to children.
I went to school in a small Georgia county and we had corporal punishment well into High school. They still have it now, though parents can opt out. Normally it is only the military families who do. There is more inducement though to check your behavior because it can affect you getting a job in your teens. Not only that but it affects how your parent/s are perceived. I imagine it is a lot more like that time frame. Everything was smaller, your reputation proceeded you through the years.
I'm going to be in Charleston tonight. I'm going to try and finally get to the museum there this week. I am very curious to see if there are records of a Southern version of these schools

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!