Sweets/Treats Snow Cream

snow cream
(from What I Know: Or, Hints on the Daily Duties of a Housekeeper, by Elizabeth Nicholson, 1856)

Ingredients:

rich cream​
essence of lemon, or syrup, or lemon peel​
powdered white sugar​
optionally: a spoonful of preserve syrup​
newly fallen snow​

Instructions:
​
Take the richest cream you can procure, season it with a few drops of essence of lemon or syrup or lemon peel, and powdered white sugar, and if you choose a spoonful of preserve syrup, and just as you send it to the table, stir in light newly fallen snow till it is nearly as stiff as ice cream.​


As a lover of old recipes I happened upon the oddest recipe I've found to date, one for snow cream which calls for fresh snow - yes, that's right you actually need fresh snow for this! Since @donna mentioned it was snowing in her neck of the woods yesterday, I thought I'd share this unusual recipe.

I think you could recreate this recipe using heavy cream, powdered sugar and maybe vanilla or lemon extract - and fresh snow!

Something to try should another spring blizzard blow by your part of the country!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top