Smith & Wesson #2

johan_steele

Regimental Armorer
Retired Moderator
My father gifted this to me today. He said I was going to inherit it anyway in some few years. Might as well enjoy it now with my presentations.

S/N 12061 puts it squarely in the range of ACW manufacture.
This was a favorite of officers, despite its small .32 caliber round. It was small, light and easy to maintain and rugged enough for an officer to carry in a sash or stuffed in a belt or possibles bag.

This came from my father so it will remain in my collection for a very long time. Though I may put it on display at the museum for others to appreciate.
F915025D-7A46-497F-A3CD-47EE26537DF0.jpeg

My father gifted this to me today. He said I was going to inherit it anyway in some few years. Might as well enjoy it now with my presentations.

This was a favorite of officers, despite its small .32 caliber round. It was small, light and easy to maintain and rugged enough for an officer to carry in a sash or stuffed in a belt or possibles bag.

This came from my father so it will remain in my collection for a very long time. Though I may put it on display at the museum for others to appreciate.
View attachment 385815
Dad's do wonderful things all our lives. Merry Christmas

Johan---I hope that you don't mind me jumping into your thread.

I was given this S&W #2 by my father-in-law as a Christmas gift in 1991.
The rest of this stuff will describe the story.

January-19-2016.jpg
DSC09842.jpg

Serial-number-42584-manufactured-in-1865.jpg

rticle-in-the-Brockville-Recorder-and-Times-Copy-2.jpg
960-article-in-the-Brockville-Recorder-and-Times-2.jpg

My wife's sister's husband said the revolver was loaded.
My father-in law died on July 14 1996 after 23 years in civic affairs---11 years as mayor of this Ontario Town.

View attachment 385815
That’s a very nice pistols

View attachment 385815
wow, what a great gift to receive for Christmas, your father is a diamond.
I always enjoy these kind of post about pistols, they inspire me to research and find out more about the history of them.

in searching for more info, I came across a guy called ‘Civil War Guru’ on YouTube, he owns one of these, his was owned by General Samuel Woodson Price, according to civil war guru, these pistols were great for winter conditions because they could be operated even if the owner had a thick pair of gloves on, something to do with there being no trigger guard. Anyhow, I think that you’re extremely fortunate to own such a great pistol, I think Santa must really like you.
thanks for sharing.

Well @johan_steele looks to me you got an awesome Christmas gift.

I thought I was on top of the world with what I bought myself for Christmas, then you come along with that gut puncher gift.
Yep, it’ll be interesting to see how his father tops that for next Christmas, maybe some civil War gold or the lost dispatch special order 191, hey son I found this in the attic, I thought maybe you’d like it.....

seriously though, what great gift did you buy yourself....if you don’t mind me asking.

I should add that you just know that Johan will appreciate such an incredible gift from his dad.

Johan---I hope that you don't mind me jumping into your thread.

I was given this S&W #2 by my father-in-law as a Christmas gift in 1991.
The rest of this stuff will describe the story.

View attachment 385828
View attachment 385829

View attachment 385830

View attachment 385831
View attachment 385832

My wife's sister's husband said the revolver was loaded.
My father-in law died on July 14 1996 after 23 years in civic affairs---11 years as mayor of this Ontario Town.
Be honest, your father in law was Chuck Norris wasn’t he.

Yep, it’ll be interesting to see how his father tops that for next Christmas, maybe some civil War gold or the lost dispatch special order 191, hey son I found this in the attic, I thought maybe you’d like it.....

seriously though, what great gift did you buy yourself....if you don’t mind me asking.

I should add that you just know that Johan will appreciate such an incredible gift from his dad.

I'm a man of simple tastes, actually two small gifts to me.

I bought myself a DVD copy of a few episodes of Sharpe for my workshop, (got to watch something while working besides westerns and CW movies, and documentaries), and a book "The Recollections of Rifleman Harris"

I'm still reading half a dozen CW and Rev. War books, (one Confederate memoir that is INCREDABLY boring, but is filled with marvelous information), and being burnt out I decided for Christmas I'd start reading more Napoleonic stuff.

johan really had the better Christmas when it comes to gifts. Next year I shall endeavor to reward myself with a new Enfield or M1816 musket for Christmas and its johan's fault. :D

I'm a man of simple tastes, actually two small gifts to me.

I bought myself a DVD copy of a few episodes of Sharpe for my workshop, (got to watch something while working besides westerns and CW movies, and documentaries), and a book "The Recollections of Rifleman Harris"

I'm still reading half a dozen CW and Rev. War books, (one Confederate memoir that is INCREDABLY boring, but is filled with marvelous information), and being burnt out I decided for Christmas I'd start reading more Napoleonic stuff.

johan really had the better Christmas when it comes to gifts. Next year I shall endeavor to reward myself with a new Enfield or M1816 musket for Christmas and its johan's fault. :D
Sharpe is an excellent tv series, earlier this year I was riding my motorcycle down the road near my house and low and behold, there he was ‘Sharpe’, Sean Bean the actor lives in my home town, he’s often spotted in the local shop, he seems quite approachable but I haven’t been in a situation where I’ve managed to talk to him yet. I’d like to get him to sign one of my many Napoleonic books, as sergeant Richard Sharpe of course.

View attachment 385815
That’s a great looking gun, is that in .22 rimfire ?

View attachment 385815
Ok, I admit I am uninformed. I would really like to know the weight and the barrel length, plus overall, and how many slugs are in the cylinder, please! A beautiful gift and keepsake.
Lubliner.

Back