Impressions Sizing for uniforms

LESullivan

Private
Joined
Sep 8, 2016
Location
Gordo, Alabama
I have a question , in regards to a sack coat or shell jacket what is the easiest way at home to size yourself for one?
I do not have any places near me at the moment to get an accurate measurement due to the restrictions with the coronavirus and I do have a cloth measuring tape to do it myself if need be.
I'm just curious because I am considering purchasing one and I have googled the equivalent of a Sz 52 jacket and it equates to a 2xl in modern sized but I'm not sure how accurate that is. Is that an accurate size equivalent? Thanks
 
I would contact the sutler or the source your are getting it from and ask about the fit and if they have any particular way to measure yourself. I know some may ask you to be sized at a tailor and some may have a sheet and instructions on how to do it yourself. You might want to get a cloth tape measure.
 
Talk with the specific company you are buying it form.
Modern measures got very little to do with the historical measures. And are taking in a different way.

And it is a big factor if you are buying from high-end US manufacture like Wambaugh and White or from some sutler who import his stuff from Pakistan...
 
I would contact the sutler or the source your are getting it from and ask about the fit and if they have any particular way to measure yourself. I know some may ask you to be sized at a tailor and some may have a sheet and instructions on how to do it yourself. You might want to get a cloth tape measure.

Thanks I definitely appreciate it
 
The size number is your chest size at it's widest, a 52 is a 52" chest. If you go to any of the high quality sites like Wambaugh and White they have a size chart to fill out. Here is a link to W&W's size chart http://wwandcompany.com/online-size-chart/ . And it's also important to remember when sizing period clothing your waist is around your belly button and not where we wear our modern pants.
 
Last edited:

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top