Restricted Shop owner can't remove Confederate flag

126thNY

Cadet
dear 126 New York are you in favor of this or not I can figure out your post thank you.
I'm in favor of them not taking the flag down. I don't see the Confederate flag as a hate symbol, it was the flag of the confederate army. The Union had their own stars and stripes flag.
I have family members that disagree with me on this,, but it's just the way I feel.
There's people in this country that must see the stars and stripes as being controversial. I sure see enough people burning it.

civilken

1st Lieutenant
I'm in favor of them not taking the flag down. I don't see the Confederate flag as a hate symbol, it was the flag of the confederate army. The Union had their own stars and stripes flag.
I have family members that disagree with me on this,, but it's just the way I feel.
There's people in this country that must see the stars and stripes as being controversial. I sure see enough people burning it.
for historical events and history lessons I understand but I also understand that the boys in blue who fort look at it as a treasonous flag the war is over and putting away where it belongs in a museum not on a flagpole today.

126thNY

Cadet
If the lawmakers have their way, you wont see Confederate flags anywhere.
In Georgia the Nash farm battlefield museum closed its doors when they were asked to remove the confederate flag. https://www.usnews.com/news/us/arti...useum-closes-after-feud-over-confederate-spat

Gettysburg museums and gift shops have been told to remove confederate flags by the national park service who are under pressure from their law makers.
Pa State Rep Vanessa Brown doesn't want confederate flags used in Reenactments because she finds the flag offensive.
They removed 4 Confederate statues in New Orleans. St Louis is planning on removing their confederate statue. the List goes on!

I Believe there should be only one flag flying on federal buildings.

My point is, if we start letting these lawmakers have their way, they will start removing confederate flags from private businesses, civil war reenactments and the battlefield monuments themselves.
I wouldn't care to go see civil war battlefields with monuments on only one side of the field. I wouldn't get the whole story!

Liberals edited out by moderator JerseyBart

Last edited by a moderator:

MattL

I side with The Sons of Confederate Veterans. I see nothing wrong with the history of that flag. Never have, never will.

That doesn't preclude someone from understanding why others might instead find it offensive. Many symbols mean different things to different people.

cash

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
I side with The Sons of Confederate Veterans. I see nothing wrong with the history of that flag. Never have, never will.

What about this history of that flag?

superstock_4048-1125.jpg

BN-JB217_0623fl_J_20150623130635.jpg

a92009c48c16ad9991a6de9b1ec39b6a.jpg

150622173850-confederate-flag---restricted-super-169.jpg

segregationn.jpg

confederateflag_12.jpg

d23c4e13e907fe12000daf29636c4afd.png

Dusty

Corporal
I think that by now you realize my opinion on this subject. I can see the possibility of this thread going somewhere that may not be conducive to a pleasant conversation. I have never had any problem with letting one have the last word. You, my friend, may have it.

Last edited:

huskerblitz

Major
I guess that's just the people in that community letting everyone know their place in life. Wonderful how far we have come.
Again you're not making sense. From a practical standpoint, not a lot to be done. The owner of the store could move his store if he wants but he doesn't own the land, and apparently didn't have an issue when he purchased the land.

I suppose the city could look at it's own zoning laws and see what changes might be effected. But as of now the land is legally owned by the SCV. I'm more surprised he was able to sell off a small parcel in the first place in regards to commercial zoning laws.

civilken

1st Lieutenant
Again you're not making sense. From a practical standpoint, not a lot to be done. The owner of the store could move his store if he wants but he doesn't own the land, and apparently didn't have an issue when he purchased the land.

I suppose the city could look at it's own zoning laws and see what changes might be effected. But as of now the land is legally owned by the SCV. I'm more surprised he was able to sell off a small parcel in the first place in regards to commercial zoning laws.
all I'm saying can you imagine in this day and age people are still flying that flag. I mean honestly what are they trying to say.

Dusty

Corporal
Ok, I lied, one more. On Wednesday, after touring the Antietam Battlefield, we went into Sharpsburg and stopped at Captain Bender's Tavern for lunch. There for all his customers and the town's people to see was the Confederate flag, displayed from the front of his tavern. He was doing a very good amount of business that day, when we were there. I saw nothing wrong with that.

huskerblitz

Major
all I'm saying can you imagine in this day and age people are still flying that flag. I mean honestly what are they trying to say.
Uh, yeah, I can. It's widely accepted it has various meanings to people. Now, you may not accept that as fact, but in the US, at least for now, we have freedom of speech. You own property then you can fly any flag you want regardless of what your neighbors think. It's part of that freedom everyone if clamoring the US is known for.