Shiloh & Stones River

MNTom

Private
After visiting Ft. Donelson last Tuesday I drove south and stayed in Savannah, TN. On Wednesday I went to Shiloh and Corinth, and Thursday visited Stones River in Murfreesboro. Here are a few photos from that trip. [Edit: I'm having trouble rotating the pictures on their side.]

If I remember correctly, this is Ruggles' Battery. Rebel artillery against the Hornet's Nest.
20190417_224532.jpg

Shiloh Chapel
20190423_235956.jpg
20190417_112413.jpg

Minnesota Monument, First MN Battery Light Artillery
20190417_120503.jpg

Bloody Pond
20190417_133711.jpg

Sunken Road
20190417_105810.jpg

Confederate Monument
20190417_103314.jpg

The Slaughter Pen @ Stones River Battlefield
IMG_20190418_203027_594.jpg

Last edited:
After visiting Ft. Donelson last Tuesday I drove south and stayed in Savannah, TN. On Wednesday I went to Shiloh and Corinth, and Thursday visited Stones River in Murfreesboro. Here are a few photos from that trip. [Edit: I'm having trouble rotating the pictures on their side.]

If I remember correctly, this is Ruggles' Battery. Rebel artillery against the Hornet's Nest.
View attachment 304159

Shiloh Chapel
View attachment 304160View attachment 304161

Minnesota Monument, First MN Battery Light Artillery
View attachment 304162

Bloody Pond
View attachment 304164

Sunken Road
View attachment 304167

Confederate Monument
View attachment 304166

The Slaughter Pen @ Stones River Battlefield
View attachment 304168

Great pictures! Shiloh is my favorite. Grew up near there and learned my early lessons on the war during family outings. Used to crawl all over those cannon. One thing: the row of trees masking most of Ruggle's artillery line weren't there 50 years ago. Don't know why they let them grow. From the sketches I've seen from the time, there wasn't a tree standing anywhere after battle started.

Great pictures! Shiloh is my favorite. Grew up near there and learned my early lessons on the war during family outings. Used to crawl all over those cannon. One thing: the row of trees masking most of Ruggle's artillery line weren't there 50 years ago. Don't know why they let them grow. From the sketches I've seen from the time, there wasn't a tree standing anywhere after battle started.
I don't know if you can trust sketches too much, because they are portraying a particular story. If the cannons are masked by tree in the sketch, then the guns are hidden and the sketch is of just a bunch of trees. Selective "pruning" is necessary to show what the artist want to show. I have noticed this in many sketches and paintings of battle scenes.

I don't know if you can trust sketches too much, because they are portraying a particular story. If the cannons are masked by tree in the sketch, then the guns are hidden and the sketch is of just a bunch of trees. Selective "pruning" is necessary to show what the artist want to show. I have noticed this in many sketches and paintings of battle scenes.

The yankee camps had been there for a couple of days and the soldiers cut down most of the small trees for firewood, etc. Ruggle's line consisted of 60 cannon and even if there were trees there at first, they would have been gone once the line opened fire.

The yankee camps had been there for a couple of days and the soldiers cut down most of the small trees for firewood, etc. Ruggle's line consisted of 60 cannon and even if there were trees there at first, they would have been gone once the line opened fire.
Fair enough, I wasn't aware of that.

Concerning the photo of the artillery at "Ruggles' Battery"- The second gun in line is a 6-pound bronze smoothbore cast at Tredegar in 1862, and is one of only four guns at Shiloh National Military Park that can be connected with a specific Civil War battery. On the bottom of the muzzle face are the letters "EB".
The cannon, given the name "Edenton," was cast from the bell of the Chowan County Courthouse, NC, and was part of a four-gun battery known as the Edenton Bell Battery. Assigned to Company B, 3rd Battalion, North Carolina Light Artillery. This piece was in action with the Army of Northern Virginia through the Battle of Fredericksburg and then transferred to the Dept. of North Carolina. The gun was surrendered with Johnston’s army at Bentonville. The other guns of the battery, cast from the bells of another courthouse as well as two churches, were “St. Paul” “Fannie Roulac” and the “Columbia.”
The photo I attached is from September 2006 and the hundred-year old carriage has since been replaced.
100_1358.jpg
100_1394.jpg

Very nice, I was there this time last year. The weather ant temperature was gorgeous and this is truely the most beautiful and serene battlefield experience.

1556152677527.png

The central bronze figure contains three women. The woman in the front and center is Victory. In her right hand is the laurel wreath of victory. Her head is bowed in defeat and she is relinquishing the laurel wreath to the woman behind and to her right. This woman represents Death. The Death she symbolizes is that of General Albert Sidney Johnston, about whom Jefferson Davis once said, “If Sidney Johnston is no general, then we have no general.” The woman behind Victory to the left is Night. During the battle, the coming of night blunted the momentum of the Confederate advance and brought Union reinforcements.
Regards
David

Super and great info from you guys, too. At Stones River, just past the park entrance, is Yesteryear or also known as Middle Tennessee Civil War Relics. This is Larry Hicklen. Many regard him as the foremost expert on Civil War relics. Larry has spent a lifetime selling, collecting and trading relics. He is now in semi-retirement and his shop open by appointment only. Great guy and a walking book of experience and knowledge. Check out his website.

Back