Shell jacket question

rebelyid

Cadet
Joined
Mar 7, 2023
Good Evening Everyone,
I hope I am posting in the right place, if not, I am sorry.
I have a yankee shell jacket, originally I was going to put 2 rounds in it and use it as I used to ride Missouri cavalry and many partisans wore yankee clothes. Now I am 53, so I realize I wouldn't be riding (yes, there was a 62 year old with Capt. Anderson, but that was rare). So, my question is, how correct would it be to put a different color wool turn down collar and wooden buttons and make it civilian? I have not seen many images of civilian shell type jackets- more sack and frock coats.
I would appreciate any insights/opinions.
Thank you,
David
 
Welcome to the forum from the Reenactors Forum. Yeah a shell jacket was not a civilian style at all. Civilan coats are more of a sack coat style. Check out southunionmills.com. They have a good selection of civilian coats/jackets that may give you some ideas.
 
Welcome from the Fort Sumter and the Fredericksburg forums. Sounds like you're in the right place for your question - lots of knowledgeable people here so you'll have an answer soon I expect.
 
I don't think a civilian would have worn wooden buttons on a coat back then ( a slave - maybe) and your shell jacket could be a cut-down coat.
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top