Shebang

johan_steele

Regimental Armorer
Retired Moderator
Spent part of the afternoon putting together a shebang that could be easily assembled and disassembled. It will be about 1/3 taller in the field with a slightly different setup for the canvas. The uprights will be dug in with a spade.

Takes about 20 minutes to assemble with 3-4 people and 3 can take it down in less than 10.

I’ve helped another unit make a stronger more stable one that goes together like a set of Lincoln logs. I like that better but this works well.
C3891502-1E32-447D-B43C-3FE004BE2E9C.jpeg
F45169F4-16E7-40C5-A6BA-A3D405799731.jpeg
37DAD5C5-4158-4BF6-AD79-0DB0F3B4B9B9.jpeg
EB6A53D2-3751-4D0A-83C5-A39026492BB8.jpeg
68273600-C011-4579-8DE5-866D2F65786B.jpeg

Great Job. Who's your helper?

Great Job. Who's your helper?
A young member of the unit, my 11 year old and our Laundress. The wife was watching the youngest and the rest of the unit weren’t around. So it’s going to be reserved for the laundress or the young man who showed up to help design and fabricate it. I’ll probably still sleep under the stars.

Nice to have handy in case you have to spend some time in the proverbial dog house. :dog:
I’m actually an incredibly lucky man in that my wife enjoys history as well. She even partakes in the hobby.

Her cooking is legendary and her reputation as the wielder of the deadly ninja throwing skillet annoys her. But it’s useful when she tells me to behave. I’m not stupid.

Thanks for sharing, I've toyed with the idea of attempting to make portable winter quarters for laughs and curiosity. Looks like you've put together a decent set up.
I think if I were doing this for myself I’d notch the ends so they would lock into place. I’d put a half wall on the front and bunk to the rear.

Realistically, they would have also dug down 2-3 feet and created some sort of stove for heat. But I doubt I’ll be at too many events that will allow me to dig a hole in their site.

We made one from old pallet wood. The weathering looked great. It was sized to take a standard A frame tent on top and had a small coal stove inside for warmth.

I think if I were doing this for myself I’d notch the ends so they would lock into place. I’d put a half wall on the front and bunk to the rear.

Realistically, they would have also dug down 2-3 feet and created some sort of stove for heat. But I doubt I’ll be at too many events that will allow me to dig a hole in their site.
Winter shelters … if I had land I do it and breast works as we just for the fun of it … Im crazy just think of a 1850's working farm with demonstrations with enough land to do various reenactment on . Woods And Water - Stream , creek and Buildings Thant can be moved to fit a scenario …. more could be added lol told ya im crazy - My Period theme park

Back