Saskatoon Berry Muffins

Saskatoon berries grow in the wild and taste great right off the bush. Historically they were used in pemmican and as a medicine for a variety of illnesses. They were also commonly used in pies, tarts, muffins, bread, jams and compote.
512px-SaskatoonBerryInSK.jpg
SaskatoonBerryInSK
SriMesh [CC BY-SA 3.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

(Saskatoon Berry Institute)

Saskatoon berries have a variety of names throughout North America, including: prairie berry, serviceberry, shadbush, juneberry and in past centuries, pigeon berry.

Saskatoon berry muffins are simple to make and they taste great. Whether you use Saskatoon berries or any other edible wild berry, these muffins are sure to please. Happy Wild Food Day – October 28!

Saskatoon Berry Muffins

Ingredients:
3/4 cup oil
1 cup brown sugar
3 large eggs
2 cups plain yogurt
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 – 2 1/2 cups quick oats
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups wild Saskatoon berries

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400F.

In a large bowl, beat the oil and sugar, and add the eggs one at a time, beating after each until the mixture is thick and creamy. Stir in the yogurt.

Whisk together the dry ingredients. Stir dry ingredients into the wet mixture and blend well. Add Saskatoon berries.

Pour mixture into paper-lined muffin tins until about 3/4 full.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden and springy to the touch.

Source: Saskatoon Berry Institute

Last edited by a moderator:

(Edible Wild Food)

Saskatoon berries grow in the wild and taste great right off the bush. Historically they were used in pemmican and as a medicine for a variety of illnesses. They were also commonly used in pies, tarts, muffins, bread, jams and compote.

(Saskatoon Berry Institute)

Saskatoon berries have a variety of names throughout North America, including: prairie berry, serviceberry, shadbush, juneberry and in past centuries, pigeon berry.

Saskatoon berry muffins are simple to make and they taste great. Whether you use Saskatoon berries or any other edible wild berry, these muffins are sure to please. Happy Wild Food Day – October 28!

Saskatoon Berry Muffins

Ingredients:
3/4 cup oil
1 cup brown sugar
3 large eggs
2 cups plain yogurt
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 – 2 1/2 cups quick oats
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups wild Saskatoon berries

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400F.

In a large bowl, beat the oil and sugar, and add the eggs one at a time, beating after each until the mixture is thick and creamy. Stir in the yogurt.

Whisk together the dry ingredients. Stir dry ingredients into the wet mixture and blend well. Add Saskatoon berries.

Pour mixture into paper-lined muffin tins until about 3/4 full.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden and springy to the touch.

Source: Saskatoon Berry Institute
Never heard of these before.have no idea where to get some to try.

Saskatoon berries are native to North America from Alaska across most of western Canada and in the western and north-central United States. I'm guessing our friend @Northern Light will be familiar with them. I've read the name Saskatoon is derived from a Cree word that means “the fruit of the tree with many branches.” Calling on @diane.

Saskatoon berries are very similar to blueberries, cousins as we would say in the South. They have a sweet taste. I have no idea how my grandmother ever discovered this berry, much less got her hands on any. She loved anything that "grew in the wild."

Serviceberries grow all over here, but in particular downriver toward the coast. They get fat and juicy. The ones out here are drier and can be sour, so they're best with meat. Some people have done work with domesticating serviceberries and now there is quite a variety of them. Don't expect them to taste like blueberries even though they look like them! :D (And you're probably going to have to get down and dirty with a squirrel or ten in spring...they like them, too...and they're delicious with them...:x3:)

You can order Saskatoon berries from SaskMade Marketplace. They offer an extensive selection of Saskatoon berry jams and jellies which make unique Christmas gifts for foodies. Check out https://www.saskmade.ca

This is another recipe I found for a Saskatoon Berry Crisp:

Ingredients:
4 cups freshly picked saskatoon berries (if using frozen berries, they must be completely thawed and excess moisture removed) - You can substitute blueberries.
¾ cup flour
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup packed brown sugar
¾ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
pinch salt
½ cup cold butter

Directions:
Add berries to buttered 10- x 6-inch baking dish.

In bowl, mix together flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Cut in butter until mixture is in coarse crumbs.

Sprinkle flour mixture evenly over berries. Bake in 350° F oven for 40 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.

@diane, are they served as a side dish with squirrel? I've seen them used as a topper on pork loin.

They are put together as part of a very thick stew using acorn flour. Some of our food ways people are doing mashups of Indian food and other food like East Indian, German, Carribbean - I'm kind of surprised how well some Native dishes adapt! Somewhere in the Pacific Northwest 900 years ago some Korean monks washed up - judging by some of the odd flavors in the tribe food up there, we think those monks brought their cookbook with them!

Serviceberries are quite nice with properly smoked or barbecued salmon, too.

Ellie. These berries remind me of the huckleberry which we have an abundance here in Pennsylvania. I never heard of a Saskatoon berry. Thanks for sharing the delicious looking recipes with the forum. I was just wondering if saskatoon berries taste like a huckleberry or a blueberry? David.

I was just wondering if saskatoon berries taste like a huckleberry or a blueberry?

A lot of folks see a similarity between them and blueberries (that's probably prompted by the fact that they look a lot alike). The jam has a definite hint of almond flavor to it and is pleasantly sweet. If you like blueberries, you would like Saskatoon berries. Some folks around here are starting to try and grow their own.

A lot of folks see a similarity between them and blueberries (that's probably prompted by the fact that they look a lot alike). The jam has a definite hint of almond flavor to it and is pleasantly sweet. If you like blueberries, you would like Saskatoon berries. Some folks around here are starting to try and grow their own.
Thanks for the information. David

Back