Sarge, are you up

Gettmore

Sergeant Major
Sarge, are you up.jpg

I can smell the smoke! Beautiful picture!
Regards
David

Oh, when if ever, will we stop seeing these post-1900s woodworker-pattern slat chairs at reenactments. I'm mostly Mainstream myself, so "10-foot rule" is passable, but these are not even "200-foot rule."

What's the point of caring enough to have an even marginally-correct uniform or tent when the camp chairs nearby are so grievously out-of-period? Other than being made of wood (I've heard "they could have made it this way") they are nothing like camp furniture of the CW period. May as well use aluminum-and-plastic-web lawn chairs from the 1960s, no less authentic ("Now molded-resin patio chairs, that's where we draw the line! :thumbsdown:).

Or is it ...who cares? It's just a hobby,"Take a 'lude dude."

Y'all have a take on it?

Last edited:
Everyone needs a place to rest their weary bones at the end of a long, physically demanding day. I'm betting nobody cared what other people were sitting on gathered around the campfire that night. Everyone was enjoying the moonlight, drinking home made shine, laughing and recounting that poor soul shooting the ram rod out across the field. Personally I'm grateful, that given all the "civil war shaming" going on these days, that there are still "real men" showing up for skirmishing and reenacting events. God bless them!

Some years back, Wally World sold a wooden folding chair with a canvas seat. While plain, it was functionally identical to several period chairs in museums and private collections. They were also cheap, only $6.00 as I recall!

Unfortunately, they never supplanted the two piece chairs seen in so many reenactments, proof that even when presented with a period correct piece, some folks refuse to improve.

I have an old wooden kitchen chair that's painted green and missing the back that I use in the field. It cost me $5 in an antique store. If I forget to bring it, an upended chunk of wood is first rate.

I'm betting nobody cared what other people were sitting on gathered around the campfire that night.

That is the biggest problem in reenacting. If no one is held to standards, you end up looking like, and being treated like a joke. Ignorance is not an excuse. Tradition is not an excuse. That the public dosen't know better is not an excuse.

Everyone was enjoying the moonlight, drinking home made shine, laughing and recounting that poor soul shooting the ram rod out across the field.

Right, because that is why we do this, isn't it? I mean, when I think of the Wilderness, the first thing I think of is the b'hoys sitting around the campfire, smoking cigars and talking how they 'whupped them Yankees'.

Personally I'm grateful, that given all the "civil war shaming" going on these days, that there are still "real men" showing up for skirmishing and reenacting events. God bless them!

If events and reenactors have a serious commitment to authenticity, there is no Civil War shaming going on. The NPS is actually doing more living history programs. The shaming comes from prejudice and hokey nonsense that most reenactors exhibit. I saw a video of an exploding outhouse for Christ's sakes.

There is a complete disconnect between history and reenacting and it shows more and more.

I see you live in Raccoon Ford. Here are some images of an event I went to a few weeks ago that was in Locust Grove

https://www.libertyrifles.org/photos/2019/warlike

This is what the Civil War looked like

Back