'sand'

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Si Klegg

Corporal
Frequently used in Soldier's letters and diaries, it means 'courage'.

I was reminded of it's usage in the Jacob Miller 9th Indiana thread:

I got in a car and lay down. I had gained my point so far--and how. As the soldiers term it with lots of sand, but the sand had run out with me for the time being.

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/pvt-jacob-miller-9th-indiana-survived-a-chickamagua-head-wound.125576/

It's frequently used in the Si Klegg books, a letter home to his sweetheart illustrates this:

'You tell Square Jones boy that he haint got sand enuff to jine the army, and if he don't keep away from you Ile bust his eer when I get home, if I ever do.'

Si Klegg

Corporal
Interchangeable with the word grit, as in "you have to admire his grit". Note: Not to be confused with the Southern breakfast of champions...GRITS (a hominy dish)
Yeah that's a good description bob.

On 'grits' though, well, they taste like they look, awful :thumbsdown:

I bought a pack of Quakers Instant Grits for the boys back in England to try and most wolfed them down, so it must be me :D

redbob

Captain
N

I bought a pack of Quakers Instant Grits for the boys back in England to try and most wolfed them down, so it must be me :D
That's where you went wrong, instant grits. Now G.R.I.T.S. can also mean Girls Raised In The South which is a different thing entirely.

John Winn

Captain

Yeah, the instant was a mistake. And you've got to have butter and a little salt. Better yet (IMHO) is some red-eye gravy. If you just cooked them and plopped them on your plate that was mistake #2. They're also great for sopping up eggs when the latter are eaten over easy (as they should be).

Maybe you should try again now that you've had a little help from the home boys.

Si Klegg

Corporal
Reason I took instant grits back over is I wouldn't have known where to start to buy Hominy here! We have corn-on-the-cob, frozen corn, Green Giant tins of it and we have something called cornflour for thickening gravy and such.

'Excuse me do you sell hominy/grits?' would get you the same looks you get here when trying to pay for something with a Scottish or Irish tenner :D

Breakfast in the South was usually spent here:

00shoneys.jpg

… although near the end of the tour we discovered Hardee's and their biscuit & gravy breakfast and that became the breakfast of champions for the last couple of days :D

Carronade

1st Lieutenant
My theory on grits is that when the first Europeans arrived, the Indians were doing some drywall work, and some joker said "Let's tell those funny-looking guys that we eat this stuff!" :wink:

Last edited: