Ammo Sabot??

1581122167752.png

1581122265274.png

WOW that is a wonderful collection. To late for me to have a collection like that. My interest comes from finding pages of my gggrandfathers artillery handbook. He made notes in it after he was captured on his way to prison.
That ain't even 5% of his collection

There's also a modern usage which applies to high-velocity guns, mainly on tanks, to increase velocity and armor penetration. We might see for example a 105mm sabot enclosing a 40mm dartlike projectile, often of dense metal like depleted uranium. The sabot falls off as soon as it clears the barrel. Basically it has the "push" of a 105 behind the 40mm penetrator, giving it extremely high velocity.

For when you absolutely have to push one thing through another thing.

Ryan

WOW that is a wonderful collection. To late for me to have a collection like that. My interest comes from finding pages of my gggrandfathers artillery handbook. He made notes in it after he was captured on his way to prison.
Now, that's a great piece of history; congratulations.

All that I ever wanted was just one cannonball...it's like a disease (ironitis) or eating peanuts; one is just not enough.
I KNOW!!!!! I have just started. I picked up a few bullets, but that wasn't enough I picked up a few fragments and that go me started on Artillery. I can't afford the big stuff but the small pieces I can pick up. Here are a few that I picked up last week from a reliable collector. They are from Gettysburg. let me know what you think and if you can help identify any of the pieces. I really like the one with a pentagon shape. Just took a few picture a few minutes ago. I am trying to figure out how to work them into my display.

IMG_2508-2.jpg

IMG_2512-2.jpg

IMG_2514-2.jpg

IMG_2514-3.jpg

Display with Sharp.jpg

I KNOW!!!!! I have just started. I picked up a few bullets, but that wasn't enough I picked up a few fragments and that go me started on Artillery. I can't afford the big stuff but the small pieces I can pick up. Here are a few that I picked up last week from a reliable collector. They are from Gettysburg. let me know what you think and if you can help identify any of the pieces. I really like the one with a pentagon shape. Just took a few picture a few minutes ago. I am trying to figure out how to work them into my display.

View attachment 345572

View attachment 345573

View attachment 345574

View attachment 345575

View attachment 345576
Very nice, the Confederacy developed spherical shells that had built in lines of weakness so that they would explode into more predictable numbers and sizes of pieces. Also, you have at least two pieces that still have the imprints of where the fuzes screwed in.

Sabot is French for wooden shoe. View attachment 345447 In this chart of smooth bore artillery rounds, the sabot is a wooden disc attached to the ball with four metal straps. The powder bag is attached to the sabot creating what was called a fixed round. Unlike rifled cannon, smoothbore field pieces were loaded with one ram. The force of the charge would break the sabot away from the ball. Infantry disliked artillery firing overhead because the sabots & the strapping would rain down onto them.

View attachment 345452In this original example, the straps are attached to a ring that encircles the fuse. The groove around the base of the sabot was where the powder bag was attached to the sabot. The bores of original Civil War bronze cannon clearly show marks from the straps.

When firing double canister, the cannoneers would smack the sabot down onto the rim of the wheel tire to break away the powder bag. In one account, the infantryman who was serving as a replacement #2 didn't break the powder bag off the second round. The resulting double charge made the gun jump big time.

The word sabotage comes from French hand weavers who threw their wooden shoes into modern steam powered looms.
Good point regarding yet another reason why officers did not want infantry in advance of friendly artillery. I would add that, depending on the design and construction of the sabot for rifled projectiles (there was a variety), you could have a similar problem.

@John Winn I just finished your article on Mounted Artillery. I did not realise the extent of logistics that went into manning one of the Guns. Thank you for this eye opening explanation. I am getting a better grip on the subject now, but will need to read your article a few more times to absorb this information. Again thank you.

Has this been shared on CWT before?

@John Winn I just finished your article on Mounted Artillery. I did not realise the extent of logistics that went into manning one of the Guns. Thank you for this eye opening explanation. I am getting a better grip on the subject now, but will need to read your article a few more times to absorb this information. Again thank you.

Has this been shared on CWT before?

Thank you very much; I'm pleased that you've found it of use.

Once upon a time there was a spot on this site where one could post articles and it was hidden away there but that feature is gone now. It's not something I can just post on a thread. Whenever I happen to see where somebody says they're newly interested in field artillery I offer them a copy - and some have accepted - so it has got around a little bit. I've edited it and expanded it several times since I wrote the original, partly based on comments I've received.

I have fantasized about somehow publishing it on the internet somewhere but I don't have a clue how that might be accomplished. I'm certainly not going to try and develop my own web site just for that. I'm not really very tech savvy (or attracted to such) so I guess it'll just remain one of my little pet projects.

Sabot is French for wooden shoe. View attachment 345447 In this chart of smooth bore artillery rounds, the sabot is a wooden disc attached to the ball with four metal straps. The powder bag is attached to the sabot creating what was called a fixed round. Unlike rifled cannon, smoothbore field pieces were loaded with one ram. The force of the charge would break the sabot away from the ball. Infantry disliked artillery firing overhead because the sabots & the strapping would rain down onto them.

View attachment 345452In this original example, the straps are attached to a ring that encircles the fuse. The groove around the base of the sabot was where the powder bag was attached to the sabot. The bores of original Civil War bronze cannon clearly show marks from the straps.

When firing double canister, the cannoneers would smack the sabot down onto the rim of the wheel tire to break away the powder bag. In one account, the infantryman who was serving as a replacement #2 didn't break the powder bag off the second round. The resulting double charge made the gun jump big time.

The word sabotage comes from French hand weavers who threw their wooden shoes into modern steam powered looms.
I'll mention that although this was true for most field artillery, on the larger-caliber siege and garrison guns the charges were too heavy for fixed charges and the powder was separate from the projectile for ease of handling by the loader(s).

Back