S. B. Lowe -- Balloons and Railroads

DaveBrt

Sergeant Major
S. B. Lowe was well-known as the inventor and operator of balloons just before the war and for the South during the war. He was redirected into iron work for the Confederacy. There are National Archive letters relating to iron production and his request to hire foreign iron workers for importation into the Confederacy.

There is also a letter to the Secretary of War regarding "iron work for cars." Since Sims was trying to get several hundred cars made during 1864, there might be a connection -- I'm interested, regardless of the Sims connection. The reference to the letter is in Lowe's NA file and is "WD-507-S-1864" This means "War Department Letter Received #507 from someone whose last name started with "S" (Sims?) in 1864. I have looked for this document and have had the National Archives staff look for it, with no success.

Do any of you have any information about Lowe and railroad work or about this specific letter?

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
S. B. Lowe was well-known as the inventor and operator of balloons just before the war and for the South during the war.
????? As the resident Balloon Guy this is the first I've heard of S.B. Lowe as an Aeronaut. Please enlighten me and share references.

After the Civil War Thaddeus Sobieskie Constentine (TSC) Lowe, Chief Aeronaut for the Union Army and inventor with over 40 Patents, built an incline railway up Echo Mountain in California - later known as Mount Lowe

Last edited:

DaveBrt

Sergeant Major
????? As the resident Balloon Guy this is the first I've heard of S.B. Lowe as an Aeronaut. Please enlighten me and share references.

After the Civil War Thaddeus Sobieskie Constentine (TSC) Lowe, Chief Aeronaut for the Union Army and inventor with over 40 Patents, built an incline railway up Echo Mountain in California - later known as Mount Lowe
Sorry, I got the Lowes conflated. The Confederate I had in mind was Dr. Cheves. S. B. Lowe was still the iron guy I'm looking for.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)