Rutabagas, Part II

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Rutabagas are a cross between turnips and cabbage. They were first grown in Sweden in 1600s. They became popular in United States in early 19th century. They were used as fodder for cattle and as vegetables in stews and also served mashed. One of the earliest recipes I could find was from 1887 in "A Few Hints About Cooking" by Sarah A. Grier.

The book, "A Few Hints About Cooking" is a collection of recipes which first appeared in the author, Sarah A. Grier's column in the "Boston Saturday Evening Gazette". This is a rare book and saw a first edition for sale for $180.00.

Mashed Rutabaga from "A Few Hints About Cooking" by Sarah A. Grier page 125.

"Cut rutabaga turnips into quarters; peel, wash, and boil until tender. Add a little butter, salt and pepper after draining off the water; mash smoothly and serve."

My grandmother used to make them when I was little, but I think most stores stopped selling them. Haven't seen one in many years. Perhaps they weren't popular and hence not profitable, shame as they were good, and I'm sure nutritious, too.

I planted rutabagas for the first time this year. Any hints on knowing when to harvest?

This is from the Bonnie Plants site -

Harvest and Storage

Rutabaga roots are shaped and colored much like turnips, but are bigger and sweeter.

Although grown primarily for their roots, the leaves of rutabaga are also edible, adding zest to salads. Pick younger leaves, never removing more than a few leaves per root.

Begin harvesting rutabaga roots when they’re 3 to 5 inches in diameter, about the size of a grapefruit. Early, small roots offer succulent, tender flavor; frost sweetens maturing roots. Harvest roots as you need them, leaving the rest of the crop in the ground. To harvest, hand-pull or carefully dig roots. In coldest zones, prolong the harvest by snipping leaves back to a few inches and heavily mulching planting beds with straw. Continue to harvest as needed until soil threatens to freeze, at which point the rutabagas must either be picked or mulched (see below).

Rutabagas store well for months, staying fresh as long as they’re held in humid conditions. After digging, prepare roots for storage by cutting tops to an inch above roots. Place in a cold, moist root cellar held as closely to 32 degrees as possible. To store in the refrigerator, place roots in vegetable storage bags and tuck them in the crisper. For large harvests, store rutabagas in moist peat moss, sand, or sawdust in a cool shed or garage—some place they won’t freeze. Another way to prolong fresh storage is to dip roots in warm, melted paraffin. After coating in wax, store in a cool place.

Some gardeners store roots in place through winter by leaving them in the ground and covering with mulch to protect freezing. ~ https://bonnieplants.com/growing/growing-rutabagas/

My parents used to grow them in their massive garden many years ago. It has been many years since I have eaten them. I know I liked than better than green beans. Thanks @donna. for the informative thread and everyone's posts.

Back