Robert E Lee's revolver

Yes, the belt is matching but referring to the above pictured holster, it is/was designed for cross draw. So the question is still...was Lee left or right handed ? And whichever he was, how did he wear the belt holster ?
Just a quick online search isn't showing anything about which hand he used. But based on the attitudes of the time, he probably wrote right-handed. Based on my own personal experiences and some general research I've done for that reason, his writing does not look like a naturally left-handed person writing right-handed to me.

Interesting.

The civil war era holster setup was, if you are right handed, you were expected to use your saber with the right and your pistol was worn on your right side with the butt forward so you would crossdraw it with your left hand. And vice versa.

So if you are right handed, your sword would be on your left side and your sidearm would be on your right side with the butt forward. You can then use your left for a cross draw or your right hand with a awkward kinda twisted wrist motion.

So if Lee was in regulation with his, it is set for use with his right hand, so he would be using a sword with his left hand, as a left hander.

Confusing i know.

I always thought if i was around back then, i would ask for a left handers set up and wear it to use with my right instead. Like modern times.

So was wondering if Lee was a righty and just wanted a normal modern style easy draw with his right hand.
As a General he could do whatever he wanted and could privately purchase any leather rig he wanted.

In Lee photos, which side is his sword on? And are we sure the negative hasnt been reversed?

Thanks for sharing these photos of truly historical items!

Many Confederate holsters are cross draw being worn on the left butt forward including holsters imported from England for Beaumont-Adams and Kerr revolvers and M1851 Adams revolvers. All three imported English revolver holsters shown in The English Connection are cross draw. Here are several more examples.
English holster for 1851 Adams.JPG
Adams holster front.JPG
holster 3.jpg
Texas Conf. holster.JPG

The last holster came from Texas for a Conf. copy of the 1851 Navy and has a pewter finial. There have been dozens of identified cross draw Conf. holsters that have appeared on the web sites of major dealers and collectors that were paired with Conf. made revolvers. Time period photos also show examples. The first picture is an English holster for the M1851 Adams; the second is for a Beaumont-Adams; the third shows a 4th model Tranter and it's English holster which was coated with asphaltum to water proof the leather.

So would you say the CSA style was more in line with modern style? Or only the ones that came from England?

Thanks. That's good to know. But, DANG, I was just there in early June and I missed it. I saw his hat, but missed the revolver. ...or it's more likely that I saw it but missed the fact that it was his. DANG!

I believe it's on the table in the Lee tent display. There's a lot in that display to look at

I know he also had another, somewhere, that was gifted to him by his students at West Point, but that was a pocket model I believe, in some weirdly small caliber, .27 I think? I saw a picture of it in a book once.... I believe one about him taking command of the ANV.
I believe that one was a Colt Root "sidehammer" Model 1855 .28 or .31 cal.; I remember seeing it pictured in Earl Schenk Myers 1960's illustrated biography of Lee.

Back