River crossings

Kathy Ly

Cadet
I am writing my fourth book set during the civil war, based around Hood's Tennessee Campaign. The soldiers are crossing the Tennessee River.
My question is: Did the troops wade through across the river, or how did they get across without getting their muskets and powder wet.
Thanks Kathy Lyn

Welcome to CWT, Kathy Lyn. Do you have a specific location you're thinking of, or an historical unit your patterning this after? That might be helpful in determining how it would've happened in your novel.

Agreed.....what unit?....What route of march??.....Was the river swollen at that time or shallow due to drought??.....What would YOU do to keep your cap pouch, haversack full of food, blanket and ammunition dry??....Would you take your shoes and socks off (if time allowed)?.....Lots of questions to be answered.....

My book is a novel, based on true events. My main character is a soldier in Hood's Corp. The troops cross the Tennessee River around Florence Al on Dec. 27th, 1864. I can't find any references on how the troops crossed the river. Did they swim? Doubtful. Cross on rafts they built themselves, or ferries. My books are based around true history and events, so I want to get this correct.
Thank you,

My book is a novel, based on true events. My main character is a soldier in Hood's Corp. The troops cross the Tennessee River around Florence Al on Dec. 27th, 1864. I can't find any references on how the troops crossed the river. Did they swim? Doubtful. Cross on rafts they built themselves, or ferries. My books are based around true history and events, so I want to get this correct.
Thank you,
I am GLAD you want to get it correct!!.....In my opinion, FAR too many novelists make no effort at getting things correct! (which is why I do not read "historical fiction" nor watch too many movies!)
I wish you well!! :smile:

Once you get a few details of your scenario down here, I am certain numerous experts will chime in to help you describe the crossing. River crossings were often a formidable task, as I think you have surmised. Best of luck with it. Come back often. And welcome!

Thank you,

If my memory serves me right, Hood took over command of the Army of Tennessee on 17 July 1864. So when the AOT crossed the Tennessee River on 27 December 1864, he commanded the Army and not a Corps. With that you said, I think you need to be more specific about a unit.

All depends on how deep and wide the TN River was in Florence Alabama at that point in time. I've been to TN and have seen the TN and Cumberland rivers. Those would need to be crossed by boat up that way in some spots. Nothing like the Potomac or Shenandoah rivers in western MD and VA. Both are still easily fordable on foot up to about the waist if it hasn't rained for like a week and they swell up.

Are pontoon bridges an option? I've heard about rivers being forded this way in Virginia, but I really don't know about the terrain in the area you are talking about. Also, is it possible to access weather reports for the date you have in mind. Welcome to the site, and good luck with your searching :smile:

Depending upon the river width, swiftness or flooding, Confederates built pontoons, dropped trees on either side, lapping over and placing logs crosswise; or, if being chased by the Union, swam across. Union pontoons were generally more sophisticated, they having engineers well-equipped for that purpose. Alabama autumn weather is generally dry. Where Hood crossed at Florence in November 1864, the river would have had some shoals, and should have been less swollen with rains. Some men had canvas to cover weaponry, but most guns got wet. They would immediately stop, after crossing, and clean and dry their guns. Incidentally, the 3-day "skirmish", with 34 casualties, between Hood with Union soldiers at Decatur, happened as Hood was trying to get passage over the Tennessee at that location.

Depending upon the river width, swiftness or flooding, Confederates built pontoons, dropped trees on either side, lapping over and placing logs crosswise; or, if being chased by the Union, swam across. Union pontoons were generally more sophisticated, they having engineers well-equipped for that purpose. Alabama autumn weather is generally dry. Where Hood crossed at Florence in November 1864, the river would have had some shoals, and should have been less swollen with rains. Some men had canvas to cover weaponry, but most guns got wet. They would immediately stop, after crossing, and clean and dry their guns. Incidentally, the 3-day "skirmish", with 34 casualties, between Hood with Union soldiers at Decatur, happened as Hood was trying to get passage over the Tennessee at that location.
Gladys: Can't thank you enough. This is great help.

Back