Impressions "Richmond Gray?"

Yankee Brooke

Sergeant Major
I think we're all familiar with the dark, charcoal that most sutlers offer that is termed "Richmond gray." How common was that if it was even used at all?

I asked because I got an RD II shell jacket in that color on Saturday, for a good price. I can't find anything about that color actually existing and am wondering if wearing that is even at all correct?

Most of the color and model names you hear from sutlers are modern terms. CS fabric colors were not consistant, especially with jean cloth, until late war when the imported British cloth took over. So as long as it's a well made jacket and the style is done properly I wouldn't worry much about color.

Most of the color and model names you hear from sutlers are modern terms. CS fabric colors were not consistant, especially with jean cloth, until late war when the imported British cloth took over. So as long as it's a well made jacket and the style is done properly I wouldn't worry much about color.
It does seem to be a really nice, well made Type II jacket. It's either all wool, or at least a high wool content jean, not kersey or anything that would have been imported. It actually seems to fit the descriptions I've seen for CS produced wools, a bit on the coarser side and likely inexpensively done. You do make a good point about the colors, especially before imported fabrics started becoming more common.

I think we're all familiar with the dark, charcoal that most sutlers offer that is termed "Richmond gray." How common was that if it was even used at all?

I asked because I got an RD II shell jacket in that color on Saturday, for a good price. I can't find anything about that color actually existing and am wondering if wearing that is even at all correct?
you got another jacket, soon you will have a trailer full of them just like our captain lol

Back