1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Researching Home Guard units?

Discussion in 'Civil War History - General Discussion' started by Bruce Vail, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Bruce Vail

Bruce Vail Sergeant Major

I recently learned that a family relative was a member of a "Home Guard" unit in North Carolina during the war.

How does one go about researching the documentation for something like this? Would it be in the National Archives, or in some state or local records?

east tennessee roots likes this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. east tennessee roots

east tennessee roots 1st Lieutenant

In Tennessee the Confederate "Home-Guard" was referred to as "Reserves". North Carolina had "Senior" and "Junior" Reserves. The prewar Militia were also incorporated. I had a Wilkes County relative that was ranked Lieutenant-Colonel in that County's Militia, but from what I've gathered he apparently operated individually, mostly delivering conscripts and chasing down deserters.

http://www.archive.org/stream/cu31924092908569#page/n673/mode/2up

leftyhunter and Bruce Vail like this.
  4. east tennessee roots

east tennessee roots 1st Lieutenant

http://www.ncpedia.org/home-guard

leftyhunter and Bruce Vail like this.
  5. leftyhunter

leftyhunter Major

Two books definitely have homeguard history. " Bitterly divided the South's inner Civil War" David Williams thenewpress.com . "Savage Conflict the decisive role of guerrilla warfare during the Civil War" Daniel Sutherland . Professor Sutherland afterwards wrote a book about Unionist guerrillas something like " War on the homefront" that should include a lot about Confederate homeguards. Their is a book about the Unionist and Confederate guerrilla warfare in Western North Carolina " war in the mountains".We do have some threads on homeguards on both sides. Keep in mind their were indeed Unionist home guards deep in Confederate territory as well has those formed after Union Army liberation.
    I would check with local county histories written immediate post Civil War up to say 1920.
    Leftyhunter

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)