Reload Time

MikeyB

Corporal
How long did it take to reload a repeater magazine? Assuming its a fairly long process, compared to conventional muzzle loading times, did any of the tactics create a system where the main covered each other during the reloads? Even/odd numbers firing together or anything like that?

Mike

bobinwmass

Corporal
'It took me 22 seconds to remove the tube from my Spencer rifle, take 7 cartridges one at a time from an open cartridge box and drop them into the magazine, and then replace and lock the tube back into place. I don't see why there would need to have someone covering for anyone else as they are likely not all shooting at the same rate and not going empty at the same time if taking their time and picking their 7 shots. They should not all just be blasting their 7 shots away as fast as they can just because they have them.

I would think it was not much longer if at all as you would be using metallic cartridges. One repetitive motion as opposed to multi steps of tearing, pouring powder, stuffing ball and ramrod usage and priming. In most cases you could stop and get a couple of shots off and then return to the reload. At very least eliminate the closest aggressors.

Rhea Cole

1st Lieutenant
How long did it take to reload a repeater magazine? Assuming its a fairly long process, compared to conventional muzzle loading times, did any of the tactics create a system where the main covered each other during the reloads? Even/odd numbers firing together or anything like that?

Mike
Which repeater are you referring to? It takes 30- 45 seconds, depending on random conditions, to reload a Spencer. Later model Spencers had a one shot loading option. A soldier could fire individual rounds & hold his seven shot magazine in reserve. In that case, it only took a few seconds to reload.