Regimental Recrutments?

The regiment I research sent back soldiers (officers mainly) to recruit back home. Their CSR have documentation to that effect for a period of time. Very few soldiers have been recruits from the places they were stationed.
Current estimates 55k Southern men joined out of state regiments. Some of these regiments were Unionist see Current p.105 which picked up non Alabaman recruits in Georgia. Many Unionists joined other non Southern state regiments. Has mentioned at least two Union regiments actively recruited deserters.
Leftyhunter

You know more about the regiment I've been researching for TWO years...you went through their entire CSR to see when and where they recruited???

I only gave the answer from the perspective of that regiment as an example.
I gave you an exact source. If you think Current is wrong let us know. Current's book has been in use in civil war history class's for decades.
Leftyhunter

I gave you an exact source. If you think Current is wrong let us know. Current's book has been in use in civil war history class's for decades.
Leftyhunter

So your statement that Union regiments did not recruit where they were stationed appears to be inaccurate per Currents book. If you would like you can take it up with Richard Current.
Leftyhunter
Again, I explained my post was directly in connection with the regiment I have been researching. Nothing more. Yet again you took the illogical leap to where no one went by suggesting something that wasn't suggested. I would implore you to read more carefully prior to responding.

I've got a question about new or replacement recruits. After a regiment had been in service for a while, they would have undoubtedly lost met to disease, battlefield casualties, medical discharges, end of enlistment periods, etc. so that eventually their regimental numbers would have dropped significantly from their 1,000-man authorized strength. My question is... did any, some, or most, regiments have recruitment offices back home to recruit and enlist replacement members for the regiment? How effective were these efforts? How small could a regiment actually become before it was absorbed by another regiment or disbanded completely?
One Unionist regiment that actively recruited out of state recruits was the 1st Alabama Cavalry Union it had at least 65 men from Mississippi and at least 271 men from Georgia and at least 98 men from South Carolina. See Current p.106 -107.
Leftyhunter

Again, I explained my post was directly in connection with the regiment I have been researching. Nothing more. Yet again you took the illogical leap to where no one went by suggesting something that wasn't suggested. I would implore you to read more carefully prior to responding.
Ok I will concede that the regiment you research was not for what ever reason able to recruit where they were stationed.
Other regiments did. I will try not to have another senior moment of reading comprehension.
Leftyhunter

I've got a question about new or replacement recruits. After a regiment had been in service for a while, they would have undoubtedly lost met to disease, battlefield casualties, medical discharges, end of enlistment periods, etc. so that eventually their regimental numbers would have dropped significantly from their 1,000-man authorized strength. My question is... did any, some, or most, regiments have recruitment offices back home to recruit and enlist replacement members for the regiment? How effective were these efforts? How small could a regiment actually become before it was absorbed by another regiment or disbanded completely?
No one mentioned that both sides recruited from prison camps. Not that it was always a successful technique many Union POWs deserted when they had the first opportunity. See @major bill thread " why no galvanized Yankees".
Leftyhunter

In the 27th Alabama Regiment, which conscripted my great-great grandfather, they were wiped out by disease, death, desertions, surrenders... several times being consolidated, many times dropping to around twenty men. At the closure of war, they combined with seven regiments to form one, and only a handful of the original men survived to return home, including my grandfather.

My question is... did any, some, or most, regiments have recruitment offices back home to recruit and enlist replacement members for the regiment? How effective were these efforts? How small could a regiment actually become before it was absorbed by another regiment or disbanded completely?
I don't know over-all estimates or exact answers to these questions, but I suspect the information that I have on the Sixteenth Tennessee may be generally representative of many Confederate regiments.

1. The Confederate Conscription Bureau was not officially established until December 30, 1862. Until that time, it was up to detached or detailed officers of said regiments to go to the counties of origin to recruit for the regiments. After that time, officers (mostly those who were still in service, but had suffered debilitating injuries) would be transferred to the Conscription Bureau to aid in recruitment throughout the remainder of the war. Other officers were temporarily detailed for this duty. This duty was considered hazardous for my regiment of study, as the counties of origin were often in Federal control. They served the duty of recruiting as well as rounding up AWOL men or deserters.

2. Effectiveness: The Sixteenth Tennessee picked up a few random recruits in most of the locations that they experienced. They picked up a few in Virginia, a couple in Kentucky, but most of their recruits came from the counties of origin. Other than a trickle of new joins, the regiment gained 180 new recruits in November, 1862 at Tullahoma, Tennessee. These were much needed, as they had gone into the Battle of Perryville a month before with 378 effective troops and lost over 218. The next fight in Dec. '62 caused a loss of over 200 again. In the spring of '63 they received another sprinkling of recruits that was well below the numbers received in the previous November. The regiment started with 957 men. Throughout the war they received about 300 more volunteers and conscripts. nearly two-thirds of that number came at one time. By late '63, it was clear that additional recruits from counties of origin were highly unlikely.

3. How Small: That was a relative thing. When 250 or less was considered small in late '62 and early '63, a number of regiments were consolidated. However, by the time of the Army reorganization in September 1864, practically half the Army of Tennessee needed to be consolidated. Most regiments numbered less than 300 on their roles (present and absent), and could field only around 100 effective fighting men by that time. Disbanding of regiments actually came early in the war after major losses at Ft. Donelson. While some units were retained and kept designation, others were disbanded and completely absorbed by other units. The ones that were retained were usually reunited with captured companies later on.

Back