Rays Cannon Ball

Hello Everyone, My grandchildren found a small heavy steel ball in my yard. Knowing the history in this area, I thought it might be a cannon ball. My name, by the way is Ray and I live first tier off Lake Marion, in the Summerton area SC. The ball is approx. 1.6 lbs, 2 1/2 " DIA and 7 1/2" Circumference. These numbers can be off by a little bit. If anyone knows what I have, I would appreciate the knowledge. Thank You

WIN_20190108_16_28_45_Pro.jpg

Welcome! Sounds like your grandchildren have uncovered their first Civil War artefact. Can you post a photo? Meanwhile, You and the grandchildren should join in our conversations: new perspectives are always welcome and all of us are learning every day! Enjoy!

Welcome from The Heat Of Dixie. If you could post some photos we can take a look and see what you have. Many times if its a solid ball it is a ore crusher ball but a photo will help.

If it were to be a cannonball, the closest thing that would fit your description is a ball from an 18# stand of grape which would be 2.4" in diameter and 1.8 pounds in weight.

It's not a CW cannon ball: doesn't match as to diameter or weight. Not right for grape shot, either. Also, if it's really steel, as opposed to iron, that's not right either.

So, not sure what you've got but it's not a CW cannon ball. Sorry.

welcome from the Cannons and Artillery forum.

Offhand, I think it looks like either a ball from a ball mill or a bearing.

Back