Limited Protesters push to take down Confederate monuments from Gettysburg

Andersonh1

Brigadier General
Now it's battlefield monuments at Gettysburg that are under attack.

https://www.abc27.com/news/local/pr..._ab5tzcvLM5J4PXveUX-RSeSO3BLIsYaqAH7ipgfuqaDs

GETTYSBURG, Pa. (WHTM) – Protesters are at odds over Confederate monuments in Gettysburg.​
A group rallied at the battlefield on Friday to push to take down 12 Confederate monuments that they say are a painful reminder of slavery and racism. They were met with counterprotesters who argue the monuments are an important piece of history.​
Irish Whaley was among the group protesting.​
“They need to go. They’re not a reminder of positive,” Whaley said. “Gettysburg is hellbent on keeping them here and they know doggone well it’s not for the soldiers that fought here. It’s to keep the white supremacy alive, to keep us reminded.”​
Counterprotesters like John Minton believe they’re trying to erase history.​
“Cancel culture includes canceling history. They think like they did in the Soviet Union, if you eradicate the past then it never occured,” Minton said.​
For veterans like John Molloy, this issue feels personal.​
“We’re here to stand up for the Confederate veterans who actually were Americans,” Molloy said. “They just had a difference of opinion, and they should be recognized for their service.”​

Pete Longstreet

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Sadly to say... I'm not surprised. If Doctor Seuss is struggling in today's society... anything that is remotely tied to the Confederacy is probably doomed, no matter where it's located. I wish people put as much effort in other things as they did in worrying about which monument offends them.

PapaReb

First Sergeant
It’s a small number of people leading this charge and they will win in the long term if those who care about the nation’s history are too worried about what will be said about them on Facebook and Twitter to air their views.
Silence was once viewed as acquiescence, now in many instances it is simply self defense. At the moment the vocal minority is running amuck, I still have hope that the ship will right itself...but I admit that the hope is not as strong as it once was.

Booklady

Sergeant

https://www.abc27.com/news/local/pr..._ab5tzcvLM5J4PXveUX-RSeSO3BLIsYaqAH7ipgfuqaDs

GETTYSBURG, Pa. (WHTM) – Protesters are at odds over Confederate monuments in Gettysburg.​
A group rallied at the battlefield on Friday to push to take down 12 Confederate monuments that they say are a painful reminder of slavery and racism. They were met with counterprotesters who argue the monuments are an important piece of history.​
“They need to go. They’re not a reminder of positive,” Whaley said. “Gettysburg is hellbent on keeping them here and they know doggone well it’s not for the soldiers that fought here. It’s to keep the white supremacy alive, to keep us reminded.”​
“Cancel culture includes canceling history. They think like they did in the Soviet Union, if you eradicate the past then it never occured,” Minton said.​
“We’re here to stand up for the Confederate veterans who actually were Americans,” Molloy said. “They just had a difference of opinion, and they should be recognized for their service.”​
I was thinking about this last night. First, that I am thankful I got to see the complete, uncensored versions of both Vicksburg and Gettysburg. The area around and the view of the fields and farms from the Mississippi memorial in Gettysburg was my favorite, but of course the Virginia memorial is a magnificent statue.

But secondly, it occurred to me that these are memorials put up by states that were then (according to Lincoln's view, and the views generally of the Union, if I am not mistaken), and still are parts of the United States of America. The memorials were not put up by the Confederacy. Can't a case be made that if Pennsylvania, say, has the right to put up a memorial to its presence there, so do Virginia and Mississippi and indeed all the states whose men fought there?

Booklady

Sergeant
It’s a small number of people leading this charge and they will win in the long term if those who care about the nation’s history are too worried about what will be said about them on Facebook and Twitter to air their views.
Some worry about a Twitter or Facebook mob, yes, but I think some also worry they will be doxxed, lose their jobs, or have damage done to their property or worse. It has happened.

Booklady

Sergeant
This situation reminds me of the poem, "First they came for _____ and I didn't speak out".

There is a very smart man who lost $7,000 on Jeopardy (go Aaron Rodgers!) last night because he either didn't know or couldn't remember that Vicksburg is an NPS National Military Park. Raising awareness (somehow) about preserving the integrity of the historical record in those parks would be good thing. Thank goodness for the counterprotestors in Gettysburg who spoke out in the news story above.

19thGeorgia

1st Lieutenant
Can't a case be made that if Pennsylvania, say, has the right to put up a memorial to its presence there, so do Virginia and Mississippi and indeed all the states whose men fought there?
Yes, and there were probably agreements between the Federal government and those who donated the monuments. Any removal would be a violation of those agreements.

Viper21

Brigadier General
Silver Patron

The movement to remove Confederate Monuments from places like Gettsyburg, is even more absurd than removing them from downtown areas in various Southern cities, like monument ave in Richmond for example. While I disagree, the argument could be made some of them are a distraction, or hinder traffic, etc.

Nobody has their life altered by a monument in a National Park they never visit, or see in person. Positively, or negatively. How many of the folks that are on the removal bandwagon have never entered Gettysburg, & never will, regardless of what is displayed..?

I've been a broken record on this subject but, I can't help it. This movement is about modern political ideology, not reality.

I wonder how attendance would change, if all the Confederate monuments were removed. What percentage of actual park visitors, you know, paying customers, not protesters, feel their visit was ruined, or a negative because Southern units who engaged in the battle have monuments to their service in the park..?

I'd love to know that actual numbers of The new Museum of the Civil War in Richmond, vs. The Museum of the Confederacy. I'd bet they aren't flattering. Perhaps that is the goal. It's much easier to revise history when folks aren't interested in it to begin with. More so when you remove most of the symbols, & monuments to such.

People forget, it's one thing to read a book, or learn about an event. It's quite another to see/feel/experience a battlefield, giant granite, or marble monument, & speaks volumes to how folks felt about the memory of such. Our National monuments to Washington, Lincoln, Jefferson, & the War memorials of WWII, Vietnam, Korea, etc... are "moving". Moving as in inspirational, & stand as permanent (at least previously thought so), reminders of the significance of those people, & events to our shared history. Most are examples of exceptional people, & or moments in time.

It will be a sad day for us all, when the only thing supposedly worth memorializing is the present day, & current political winds of the day.

Booklady

Sergeant
Stories need protagonists and antagonists. Conflict involves opposing parties. Meade on horseback at Gettysburg seems pointless without Lee on horseback across that storied field. Likewise, why are Iowa and Michigan at Vicksburg, without Texas and Louisiana, respectively, trying to bar the way? Just a few examples of battlefield park state memorials that stand out in my mind.

(Edited to fix typo)

Last edited: