Presidential Equestrians

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

John Hartwell

Major
Forum Host
1563834397133.png

White House Stables: built in 1857, destroyed by fire in 1864
The announcement, late in 1888, that President Grover Cleveland was enrolled to take private lessons at the Washington Riding School, inspired journalist Frank G. Carpenter to provide this survey of "Presidential Equestrians," which was reprinted (or excerpted) by newspapers across the country:
Dallas_Morning_News_1887-12-05_7 - Edited.png
Dallas_Morning_News_1887-12-05_7 - Edited (1).png

NOTE: I have been trying, without success, to learn more about Franklin Pierce's blind horse. Neither hint nor kick seems to help.

Last edited:

John Hartwell

Major
Forum Host
The above sketch is too early to include 350-pound President William Howard Taft,
1563833513481.png
who repeatedly tortured his horse until 1911, when the poor beast was retired, and the White House stables were torn down, and replaced with a four-car garage.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
OK, just came from the Cleveland thread where Maria's story was told so it makes me wince to see him portrayed well.

Poor Taft's horse! If did make me laugh the guy rode in a running martigale and used what seems to be a Pelham bit. Both are used ( basically- too long to get into ) for aids keeping one controlled. That animal wasn't going anywhere in a big hurry. Little overkill there.

EJ Zander

First Sergeant
Beginning of article says that Cleveland has a pair of matched drivers at 16 hands and weigh 2000# each. That is alot of horse packed into 16 hands. I like the description as to why they driven and not ridden... "their step is too heavy for comfort".
Captain obvious here but in regards to Taft's horse, that horse's cannon bones look a bit light for him.
I read that in 1911 Taft had the White House stables converted into a garage for cars. He also did away with the WH milk cow.