Pinky Rings...

Private Watkins

2nd Lieutenant
acb9132821b39d34e0b89529a9688c59_raza.jpg

I gather that pinky rings were fairly popular in the mid-19th century, moreso than today, and have wondered if there's more to the story than just fashion, say masonic, religious, fraternal, or school/university affiliations...? Were they usually plain or did they have symbols or designs? What materials were typically used... etc.?

Would appreciate any info you folks might have and would also love to see other images of soldiers (famous or not famous) with pinky rings... or even a period ring itself if someone happens to have or find one... thanks!

This has come up before on old threads here at CWT, if i remember correctly...?

It also is a hot topic amongst relic hunters.

I always kind of figured that alot of those boys were given the rings by their gal when they were stepping off for war - perhaps their pinky finger was the only one a dainty band would fit on?

Kinda like the whole 'sweetheart photo in the k-pot' stereotype of more recent american conflicts...?

Last edited:
I bet these were common trophies if that was your thing, also why does that Zouave have a boomer fixed and another one in his scabbard?

Because 'that zouave' is THE ORIGINAL 'Ellsworth Avenger' and a future CMOH recipient for his actions at the Marshall House Inn.... and he can do whatever he wants!

:rofl:

Honestly though, good question.

Some of the stuff I've read about Ellsworth's death at the Marshall House Inn stated that Brownell actually used his bayonet on Ellsworth's killer... It's a reach, but perhaps this photo has him posing with that 'sentimental' bayonet in addition to the one at his side?

Or perhaps it was simply a dramatic redundancy that was overlooked while setting up the shot?

Just a thought (as I am no expert) but how possible is it that SOME wedding rings were worn by men on the pinky finger (if some had wedding rings at all)......
I would have to think that's certainly a possibility... although there are plenty of photos out there with soldiers wearing a ring on the traditional wedding finger...
Yankee Colt.jpg

Back