Patriotic Banner - Mayber GAR?

MikeS0000

Private
Hello Folks -

Back again with a pennant I found. Nothing special, I believe, but I found it interesting. Thought it may possibly be a GAR Souvenir. But who knows for sure....

I've not seen one made like this before, it appears that a glue or tar-like substance was painted on the covered with sand and a glitter substance.

Some folks, and I apologize for not remembering who, helped me out with another Patriotic weaving. And I'm still looking for an old frame to put it in.... :smile:

Any thoughts appreciated and thanks for looking!

Best regards!
- Mike

PS - If any interest, I picked up a couple of weeks a really nice French 1842 Musket. Be glad to post some photos if anyone is interested.

101_2998.JPG 101_2999.JPG

Never seen anything quite like it. But, nothing about it suggests "GAR" to me.
The stenciling on felt has a "home made" look. How long is it, and what does it say across the top? I can't make it out.

The banner says "souvenir", but nothing more (at least nothing more that survived), I can't figure out what the central image represents. My guess is that it is not military related but simply some souvenir, just as it says.
And yes, please share the photos of your musket!

I like it, but it is harder to make it out. I see the word "Souvenir," but not much else. It looks to have gold paint on it. It is hard to make it out. Thanks for posting it @MikeS0000. I wish I could tell you more.

The image is a crude eagle. The "central figure" is the head and neck, the wings are represented by "rays" (feathers) spreading out from a "stars (blobs) and stripes" shield on the body:
This
gvhg.jpeg
pose ... sort of.

Last edited:
Definitely not GAR.

Thanks Gentlemen! John got it, it is an eagle and across the top is 'SOUVENIR' with only a partial 'N'.

I believe the crossed lines below the eagle are to represent crossed flags. And, at the bottom is a wreath with the date '1910' inside it. Well, that's my interpretation as I look at it again today. It does have a homemade feel to it.

The sewing is different, but then I'm not much of a sewing person, except in the Spring....:frantic:

Must have taken a lot of time to make, putting the base (glue/tar/etc.) on and then the sparkles, sand, or whatever onto the base.

A Patriotic theme for some event. If only it could talk.

Best regards!
- Mike

PS - will try to get some photos today, I think the snow is supposed to melt some today.

Last edited:
Hello Folks -

Back again with a pennant I found. Nothing special, I believe, but I found it interesting. Thought it may possibly be a GAR Souvenir. But who knows for sure....

I've not seen one made like this before, it appears that a glue or tar-like substance was painted on the covered with sand and a glitter substance.

Some folks, and I apologize for not remembering who, helped me out with another Patriotic weaving. And I'm still looking for an old frame to put it in.... :smile:

Best regards!
- Mike

PS - If any interest, I picked up a couple of weeks a really nice French 1842 Musket. Be glad to post some photos if anyone is interested.

View attachment 178145 View attachment 178146
It does appear military in nature since you have the eagle and what looks like crossed (muskets) then below crossed cannon. It does not look anything like GAR that I have viewed in the past, but there were not specifics for GAR and could be something from a gathering/reunion, but these usually would have more info regarding the host Post and particular reunion. UCVrelics is the go to authority in this venue.

Hello Folks -

Best regards!
- Mike

View attachment 178145 View attachment 178146
I wonder if this could be a commemorative pennant for the sinking of the Maine during the Spanish American War? If the pennant does in fact say 1910 it could be from the raising of the Maine. There were beliefs that sailors bodies were still inside the ship so in 1910 they raised it to properly inter the deceased. This could be a souvenir from that event or possibly from the burial of the sailors at Arlington. https://www.americanheritage.com/content/second-sinking-‘maine’
13-spanish-american-war-1898-granger.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Bill! Never thought of that possibility. Certainly has a similar design. Maybe the wreath at the bottom is symbolic of those lost. Much appreciated!

Too bad the person who made it didn't leave their name and address..... Geeez! Than would have helped.

Thanks Bill! Never thought of that possibility. Certainly has a similar design. Maybe the wreath at the bottom is symbolic of those lost. Much appreciated!

Too bad the person who made it didn't leave their name and address..... Geeez! Than would have helped.

No problem. It definitely looks similar and I have seen it on several other period items commemorating the Maine. It could be something else but with the 1910 date it makes me think it was maybe part of a rally to raise the Maine. The wreath could absolutely symbolize the lost sailors. It really is a neat piece, thanks for sharing.

A name and address would have been great but half the fun is trying to figure out what it was made for. :bounce:

Back