What is this? Parker Hale p58?

Steveoko922

Cadet
Lads, i need help finding out who produced and put together my P58 naval rifle.

At first glance, it seems like a run of the mill PH P58. It has the correct stock cartouche, lock markings, barrel roll stamp and BP proof mark on the breach/tang

On the bottom of the barrel exists the crown over bp proofing, 3 1/2 drams 577 536g with a R C 1 in crossed lines. Barrel was measured as 1:48.

It had a satin/poly finish i removed and replaced with BLO

The serial number is where things get weird. It is 29194 in larger than normal script with a faint DGG to the right. The 4 is odd as it is crooked and a different font than the other 2919. The trigger gaurd is marked made in italy. NO OTHER ITALIAN MARKS EXISIT ON THE BARREL.

VideoCapture_20201214-151207.jpg

VideoCapture_20201214-151214.jpg

VideoCapture_20201214-151221.jpg

Craig L Barry

Sergeant Major
It is in the serial number range for the Euroarms (Italian) made Parker Hale and GDG represents the initials of the company founders (Grassi, Doninelli and Gazzola). Parker Hale in Birmingham discontinued their production in the 90s and sold all the parts and machinery to Euroarms. Euroarms bought most of the inventory of parts and obtained the legal right to use the Parker Hale mark which is why there are not more Italian markings. The barrels were actually made in Italy. It was not made in England by Parker Hale.

Last edited:

Steveoko922

Cadet
It is in the serial number range for the Euroarms (Italian) made Parker Hale and GDG represents the initials of the company founders (Grassi, Doninelli and Gazzola). Parker Hale in Birmingham discontinued their production in the 90s and sold all the parts and machinery to Euroarms. Euroarms bought most of the inventory of parts and obtained the legal right to use the Parker Hale mark which is why there are not more Italian markings. The barrels were actually made in Italy. It was not made in England by Parker Hale.
Even with the proper british proof marks? Or did they add those too for authentic parker hale brand purposes?

Craig L Barry

Sergeant Major
According to the Euroarms website (referring to the later Parker Hale reproductions they produced):
The barrels of our replicas are made in Italy. Therefore the Parker Hale marking do not attest that the barrel was made in England by Parker Hale.

That appears to be British proofed Parker Hale produced barrel and lock in an Armi San Palo stock and hardware. My own "Parker Hale" Whitworth SN34xxx has nothing indicating Italian origin other than the small "Made in Italy" mark on the trigger guard. Parker-Hale LTD, Birmingham England is stamped on the barrel and the P-H roundel is stamped in the stock. It only bears a small DGG and Italian proofs dated 1999 and black powder warning under the wood line. Hanging below my "Franken-Hale" is a real P-H 2 band rifle so detail comparisons are easy. Real English produced P-H hammers are more robust and the locks have only one line of engraving outlining the lock, that along with the P-H under the crown on the lock that's lacking on my on "Parker Hale" tells me you have a good English barrel and lock assembled by Armi San Palo in their stock after they acquired the P-H name and before they formed EuroArms. The wrist on your stock also looks like the thick wrist on my 'Franken-Hale" unlike the more svelte wrist of my real P-H. Just my humble observations.
Interestingly I have seen numerous other rifles in this S/N number range exhibiting the "plum" color on the breech.