Organized Confederate Northerners

I do know of one man from Columbus, Ohio, who moved to Mississippi and joined the 17th Mississippi Infantry regiment, as he was my first person impression with my Confederate reenacting group, the 17th Mississippi (reenactment) unit.

As for wholesale regiments of Northern men joining the Confederacy, I simply do not know. However, if any forum can find out such information, it would be this one!

Wait and see and I am sure you will get an answer, one way or the other.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

This may be the sort of thing you're looking for: Company G of the 15th Tennessee Infantry. There was widespread resistance to the draft and the war in general in the southern halves of Illinois and Indiana. However, this mostly produced draft dodgers (sometimes in gangs who actively hindered the Union effort), but not formal military units.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1878208896/?tag=civilwartalkc-20

Other than California, I haven't heard of any complete Confederate regiments from non-border-state Union territory. (Obviously, the border states were a different story, with regiments headed to both sides.)

interesting, i hadn't thought of california. There were California regiments in Confederate service? Did they fight in the East and (Mid)West, or did they stay out in California keeping the Union authorities on edge?

interesting, i hadn't thought of california. There were California regiments in Confederate service? Did they fight in the East and (Mid)West, or did they stay out in California keeping the Union authorities on edge?
No CS California regiments. I'm only aware of pro-Confederate companies or militia units, non of which saw any service outside the state and were quickly broken up by Federal authorities.

Putting aside the Border States, are there any examples of whole regiments being raised out of Union states, that volunteered for the Confederacy? Maybe out of some of the Western states like Kansas?

Mike

@MikeyB ,

How about the FAR North?

I was told that about 50,000 Canadians went 'south' to fight with both the Union and Confederacy.

Would they count?

Sincerely,
Unionblue

Back