Organize the AoT 1864

OldReliable1862

First Sergeant
Most people would say that John Bell Hood's performance in command of a corps in the Army of Tennessee in the Atlanta Campaign left much to be desired. I can't find that much to complain about as far as A. P. Stewart's performance in command of Polk's corps is concerned, but exanining some alternatives could be worthwhile. Similar to the thread asking who should have the III Corps of the ANV, this thread asks how you would have organized the Army of Tennesee as it was at Dalton, Georgia, assuming John Bell Hood isn't present.

This was the list of major generals in January 1864 in the AoT by seniority:
William W. Loring (15 Feb. 1862)
Benjamin F. Cheatham (10 Mar. 1862)
Thomas C. Hindman (14 April 1862)
Samuel G. French (31 Aug. 1862)
Carter L. Stevenson (10 Oct. 1862)
John Bell Hood (10 Oct. 1862)
Patrick R. Cleburne (13 Dec. 1862)
William H. T. Walker (23 May 1863)
Alexander P. Stewart (2 June 1863)

As you can see, Hood was promoted over five generals senior to him. When Polk's corps became available, Johnston promoted Stewart over six (Hindman having been wounded), showing just how highly Johnston thought of "Old A. P." Interestingly, President Davis asked Robert E. Lee if he thought William N. Pendleton, Lee's artillery chief, would be a good choice for Polk's old position. Lee didn't think so, which I can't say I find surprising. Pendleton seems an odd suggestion, as I don't believe he commanded infantry during the war.

Last edited:
West Point training was what Davis required much of the time on promotions, why Cleburne didn't get any farther than he did.

Kevin Dally

Most people would say that John Bell Hood's performance in command of a corps in the Army of Tennessee in the Atlanta Campaign left much to be desired. I can't find that much to complain about as far as A. P. Stewart's performance in command of Polk's corps is concerned, but exanining some alternatives could be worthwhile. Similar to the thread asking who should have the III Corps of the ANV, this thread asks how you would have organized the Army of Tennesee as it was at Dalton, Georgia, assuming John Bell Hood isn't present.

As you can see, Hood was promoted over five generals senior to him. When Polk's corps became available, Johnston promoted Stewart over six (Hindman having been wounded), showing just how highly Johnston thought of "Old A. P." Interestingly, President Davis asked Robert E. Lee if he thought William N. Pendleton, Lee's artillery chief, would be a good choice for Polk's old position. Lee didn't think so, which I can't say I find surprising. Pendleton seems an odd suggestion, as I don't believe he commanded infantry during the war.
Perhaps either Patrick Cleburne or Thomas C. Hindman could be head of the Army of Tennessee.

That's a pretty poor lot. Particularly at the senior end.

Ryan

There are multiple occurences during the war that being wounded got you a promotion from colonel to Brigadier General, Brigadier to Major general etc. Pickett, Ewell, etc there are others.

Lovell was blamed for the defeat at Corinth in October 1862. He was relieved of duty in early December 1862 and was under a court of inquiry for most of 1863.

I just found a letter in the OR's from Johnston to Davis written in January 1864. He wanted to organize the then seven divisions of the AoT into three corps: a three division corps under Hardee, and two corps of two divisions under Hindman and Lovell.

This is how I would have seen the AoT organized in such a system:
Hardee: Divisions under Cleburne, Cheatham, & Bate
Hindman: Divisions under Stewart and Hindman's old Division
Lovell: Division under Stevenson and Walker

I think just replacing Polk would go a long way towards righting the command problems of the AoT. More needed to be done, but, to me this is the first priority, nothing good could come from any reorganization that left Polk in any command in the Army.

The command of the AoT, highlights, to me, the problem for Davis. Like all other assets favorable to the csa, was the acute shortage of everything demanded for a modern(for the time) War. Which included a very limited pool of useful talented officers.

As a matter of practicality(more easily of accomplishment) Davis, should have left promotions and demotions in his Army commanders hands, or at least, give their recommendations highest priority, in making them, as he apparently did with Lee, by sending his rejects to other commands especially in the West.

Back