Organize the AoT 1864

Most people would say that John Bell Hood's performance in command of a corps in the Army of Tennessee in the Atlanta Campaign left much to be desired. I can't find that much to complain about as far as A. P. Stewart's performance in command of Polk's corps is concerned, but exanining some alternatives could be worthwhile. Similar to the thread asking who should have the III Corps of the ANV, this thread asks how you would have organized the Army of Tennesee as it was at Dalton, Georgia, assuming John Bell Hood isn't present.

This was the list of major generals in January 1864 in the AoT by seniority:
William W. Loring (15 Feb. 1862)
Benjamin F. Cheatham (10 Mar. 1862)
Thomas C. Hindman (14 April 1862)
Samuel G. French (31 Aug. 1862)
Carter L. Stevenson (10 Oct. 1862)
John Bell Hood (10 Oct. 1862)
Patrick R. Cleburne (13 Dec. 1862)
William H. T. Walker (23 May 1863)
Alexander P. Stewart (2 June 1863)

As you can see, Hood was promoted over five generals senior to him. When Polk's corps became available, Johnston promoted Stewart over six (Hindman having been wounded), showing just how highly Johnston thought of "Old A. P." Interestingly, President Davis asked Robert E. Lee if he thought William N. Pendleton, Lee's artillery chief, would be a good choice for Polk's old position. Lee didn't think so, which I can't say I find surprising. Pendleton seems an odd suggestion, as I don't believe he commanded infantry during the war.

Last edited:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
West Point training was what Davis required much of the time on promotions, why Cleburne didn't get any farther than he did.

Kevin Dally

BlueandGrayl

First Sergeant
Most people would say that John Bell Hood's performance in command of a corps in the Army of Tennessee in the Atlanta Campaign left much to be desired. I can't find that much to complain about as far as A. P. Stewart's performance in command of Polk's corps is concerned, but exanining some alternatives could be worthwhile. Similar to the thread asking who should have the III Corps of the ANV, this thread asks how you would have organized the Army of Tennesee as it was at Dalton, Georgia, assuming John Bell Hood isn't present.

As you can see, Hood was promoted over five generals senior to him. When Polk's corps became available, Johnston promoted Stewart over six (Hindman having been wounded), showing just how highly Johnston thought of "Old A. P." Interestingly, President Davis asked Robert E. Lee if he thought William N. Pendleton, Lee's artillery chief, would be a good choice for Polk's old position. Lee didn't think so, which I can't say I find surprising. Pendleton seems an odd suggestion, as I don't believe he commanded infantry during the war.
Perhaps either Patrick Cleburne or Thomas C. Hindman could be head of the Army of Tennessee.

That's a pretty poor lot. Particularly at the senior end.

Ryan

Jamieva

1st Lieutenant

There are multiple occurences during the war that being wounded got you a promotion from colonel to Brigadier General, Brigadier to Major general etc. Pickett, Ewell, etc there are others.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)