Once more into the data!

Mrs. V

2nd Lieutenant
When I first joined this forum, I asked about finding a relative, who I know is buried in Toledo, was a Civil War Vet and survived Andersonville. It’s one of those family story things...he arrived by train, was so emaciated his wife was able to carry him to the wagon..My Grandmother had made the trip to Andersonville, found the fellow..and then never recorded his name..aaaaarg!!!

So, I have been playing phone tag with a cousin, trying to see if she has info..her contribution is that she thought he was a Scott..which was Ggrandma’s maiden name, before she married and became Webster. In previous searches we looked at Websters..

I’ve looked at the records for Andersonville, for survived and then Ohio/Michigan, because Toledo is on the boarder, and we know that a Webster held land along the Toledo Michigan strip..which doesn’t exist anymore. There are 8 Scotts that fit this category..How do I go about looking for their obits or graves..this has been driving me bonkers for years!!

Mrs. V

2nd Lieutenant
When I first joined this forum, I asked about finding a relative, who I know is buried in Toledo, was a Civil War Vet and survived Andersonville. It’s one of those family story things...he arrived by train, was so emaciated his wife was able to carry him to the wagon..My Grandmother had made the trip to Andersonville, found the fellow..and then never recorded his name..aaaaarg!!!

So, I have been playing phone tag with a cousin, trying to see if she has info..her contribution is that she thought he was a Scott..which was Ggrandma’s maiden name, before she married and became Webster. In previous searches we looked at Websters..

I’ve looked at the records for Andersonville, for survived and then Ohio/Michigan, because Toledo is on the boarder, and we know that a Webster held land along the Toledo Michigan strip..which doesn’t exist anymore. There are 8 Scotts that fit this category..How do I go about looking for their obits or graves..this has been driving me bonkers for years!!

GGrandma’s name was Mae Scott Webster

lupaglupa

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
@Mrs. V this could be really easy or really hard - depending o the foundation you have to build on. Do you have a family tree that goes to the CW era? Does it go sideways as well as up - meaning siblings of ancestors as well as parents to the pertinent children. The more info you have, the easier.

Mrs. V

2nd Lieutenant
@Mrs. V this could be really easy or really hard - depending o the foundation you have to build on. Do you have a family tree that goes to the CW era? Does it go sideways as well as up - meaning siblings of ancestors as well as parents to the pertinent children. The more info you have, the easier.
Gonna be really hard, as no one seems to know where the family bible went. Might have burned when the old log cabin burned. I have the highchair with the scorch marks on the back. Evidently my Auntie pulled her sister out of the chair and got her out of the fire..

lupaglupa

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Gonna be really hard, as no one seems to know where the family bible went. Might have burned when the old log cabin burned. I have the highchair with the scorch marks on the back. Evidently my Auntie pulled her sister out of the chair and got her out of the fire..
If you can give me some basic facts - Mae Scott Webster's birth and death dates, her husband's name, names of her siblings and/or parents I should be able to put together enough of a tree to get to the veteran. PM me if you don't want tp post it all here (which would be quite understandable)

lupaglupa

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
I do and I don't have your answer. It's a bit funny to me as today I had a letter from my aunt which included a family story with bad facts. And what we have here is your family story with a bad fact.

Mae Scott's father was Luman Henry Scott (1850 - 1910). His brother George Oscar Scott (1837 - 1921) served in the 8th Michigan Cavalry. He enlisted December 30, 1862 as a private and was promoted to sergeant. He was captured during Stoneman's Raid and was held at Andersonville. He survived and was discharged from the Army at Detroit on May 26, 1865. He then moved to Charlevoix County Michigan where he lived next door to Luman. He married and had a daughter. He died in 1921 in Daytona Beach, Florida which is where he is buried.

So - you do indeed have a family member who survived Andersonville. But he's not buried in Toledo. I did check all the other possibilities but I couldn't find anybody else buried in Toledo who would fit. And I didn;t ind anyone else who was at Andersonville. I think sometime two different stories got mixed - one about the man who survived a horrible imprisonment (and likely the story about his being emaciated and all is true) and the other a story of someone buried in Toledo.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/48925803/george-oscar-scott

Mrs. V

2nd Lieutenant
I do and I don't have your answer. It's a bit funny to me as today I had a letter from my aunt which included a family story with bad facts. And what we have here is your family story with a bad fact.

Mae Scott's father was Luman Henry Scott (1850 - 1910). His brother George Oscar Scott (1837 - 1921) served in the 8th Michigan Cavalry. He enlisted December 30, 1862 as a private and was promoted to sergeant. He was captured during Stoneman's Raid and was held at Andersonville. He survived and was discharged from the Army at Detroit on May 26, 1865. He then moved to Charlevoix County Michigan where he lived next door to Luman. He married and had a daughter. He died in 1921 in Daytona Beach, Florida which is where he is buried.

So - you do indeed have a family member who survived Andersonville. But he's not buried in Toledo. I did check all the other possibilities but I couldn't find anybody else buried in Toledo who would fit. And I didn;t ind anyone else who was at Andersonville. I think sometime two different stories got mixed - one about the man who survived a horrible imprisonment (and likely the story about his being emaciated and all is true) and the other a story of someone buried in Toledo.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/48925803/george-oscar-scott
Oh my gosh!! Thnk you so, so much! Now I bet the person buried in Toledo belongs to the Webster part of the family. I do have a land grant for Samuel Chard Webster(would have been the Senior) along the Toledo/Michigan strip. His son was also Samuel Chard Webster. And now I need to go back to my notes for that one.

Mrs. V

2nd Lieutenant
Went back to my notes. It looks like there was a Issac Webster, also of the 8th Michigan Cav, who appears in the Andersonville roles. So yeah, maybe that is where the wires crossed!

Last edited:

Mrs. V

2nd Lieutenant
Is there anyway you can look up Samuel Chard Webster as far as siblings go? I can send you copies of info that someone else looked up for me.

Thanks for solving this mystery!

I’m pretty sure that G.O. Scott is our one and only ACW ancestor... the only Issac Websters I’ve turned up either were the wrong age & profession or the wrong middle initial. Plus he had a kid in 1864, so evidently he was in Ohio having fun with his girlfriend at sometime in 1863! He was the right age, about 27, I wonder if having a “wife & kid” exempted him from the draft? Perhaps he was just too busy with running a farm during the war? It took him three years to get married which is really odd... another family mystery?

Sgt. George O. Scott is a real treasure of a guy, though... all the details are there to confirm that old family story! We’ll have to shake the family tree some more and see if another Civil War vet falls out!