Tell me more! Old Gettysburg Book

NJPaul

Cadet
My wife gave me this book it was her father’s. Very interesting as the pictures are very dated. If you look at the pictures you can see a lot of fences. Anyone know the published date?

C711219F-56EE-4DD0-8721-EB530519C5F1.jpeg

98CB1952-96E2-465B-8835-66CA276F6EEF.jpeg

9C13C6D1-96E1-40DE-A4E2-D55B48320616.jpeg

D4D56DA2-45A5-4DB3-BF42-5EA7F69A4658.jpeg

Book title search result in Archive.org https://archive.org/stream/catalogoftitlee1906libr/catalogoftitlee1906libr_djvu.txt

"Daily story pub. CO., Chicago, 111. A
140774', Mar. 14. 1906; 2 c. Mar. 14, 1906.
Miller, Robert C[linton] Historic views
of Gettysburg; illustrations in half-tone
of all the monuments, important views
and historic places on the Gettysburg
battlefield. Gettvsburg, Pa.,' J. I.
Mumper and K. C. Miller. c 1906. [64]
p. illus. 23 x 30i cm."

As I did further research the book was printed in many different years. It’s hard to tell which is which because of no copyright date in the book. The book listed above is much different than mine.

Circa 1906?
From what I can find out from various sites, the publishers J. I. Mumper and R. C. Miller released the first edition on March 14, 1906 and also a leather bound edition dated 1906; a second printing was released in 1907; a leather bound edition in 1909; another edition in 1912; a first (yes, first) edition in 1915 that included a folding panoramic photo of the Gettysburg 1913 Veteran's 50th Reunion; a 1906 edition published by the Jennie Wade Museum and a 2017 edition published by Forgotten Books.

edited - Also found a 1930 edition published by the Jennie Wade Museum.

Last edited:
Did everyone notice that if you go to the Library of Congress website indicated above, then follow the link, you can page through that particular book with all it’s photos? (72 pages). It may be possible that NJPaul’s version is a condensed publication, possibly available to visitors of the battlefield, and therefore without the copyright of the original. Thank you for posting!

As I did further research the book was printed in many different years. It’s hard to tell which is which because of no copyright date in the book. The book listed above is much different than mine.
This is true for many other souvenir books and pamphlets about Gettysburg; I have one or more I bought as "recently" as the Centennial during my visits there 1961 or 1964, and other than knowing when or where I bought them, they look pretty much as they might've twenty, thirty, forty, or even fifty years earlier!

Did everyone notice that if you go to the Library of Congress website indicated above, then follow the link, you can page through that particular book with all it’s photos? (72 pages). It may be possible that NJPaul’s version is a condensed publication, possibly available to visitors of the battlefield, and therefore without the copyright of the original. Thank you for posting!
Johnny, you are correct. I followed the link and that book has a lot more pages than mine. That’s what got me thinking. So a good guess would be 1909. Anyway it’s a very interesting book with great pictures.

Johnny, you are correct. I followed the link and that book has a lot more pages than mine. That’s what got me thinking. So a good guess would be 1909. Anyway it’s a very interesting book with great pictures.
The book in the LoC link was published in 1909. How many pages does your book have? We might be able to determine the year it was published by the amount of pages it contains.

I have discovered that each publication has a museum custodian. Mine is W G Weaver who was the former Mayor of Gettysburg . See the picture there is a line or two about it. Now I need to find out when he was mayor.

89A6B986-B2E3-47D7-B956-D62EBFA762ED.png

Back