Authentic Old Fashioned Breakfast Rice

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
A healthy and hearty breakfast was rice. This is old recipe that my Granny made.

4 cups of rice, hot or cold
milk
sugar
butter
cinnamon

If rice is cold, put in top of the double boiler with the other ingredients. Heat until at nice serving temperature. If rice is hot just add the other ingredients and mix.

Note: The double boiler has been around for centuries'. It was first used in France in Middle Ages. It was used in Colonial kitchens in America.

Last edited by a moderator:
A healthy and hearty breakfast was rice. This is old recipe that my Granny made.

4 cups of rice, hot or cold
milk
sugar
butter
cinnamon

If rice is cold, put in top of the double boiler with the other ingredients. Heat until at nice serving temperature. If rice is hot just add the other ingredients and mix.

Note: The double boiler has been around for centuries'. It was first used in France in Middle Ages. It was used in Colonial kitchens in America.
Never thought of rice other then baby food for breakfast but this is different and should be a nice change.

In our household, we ate cream of wheat growing up! Not as much as grits but my Nanny would fix it for us from time to time! Anything we could put lots of butter on was just fine by me! :smile:

Raisins are a flavorful addition to this recipe, and let you eliminate all or most of the sugar. Chopped nuts are also good. For more nutrition (and, IMHO, better flavor), use brown rice.

I've always hated cooked cereal (per my mother, since I was an infant), and cooked rice is about the only kind I can tolerate.

My sweet wife, who is a City girl used to get annoyed when I did this. However, I use cream or at least half n' half, instead of milk. Sometimes I use brown sugar. Another old time favorite I learned from my Grandma was popcorn and milk. You stuff as much popcorn as possible into a half or better glass of milk and eat it with a spoon. I usually fill the glass back three times before the milk gets oily.

Most true southerners wouldn't consider northern Missouri a part of the South. Growing up in rural northwest Missouri we often had grits with breakfast and I taught my wife how I like them fixed. Only butter and salt, no other spices or additives. My Dad would cook breakfast once in a while and he liked to fry eggs and mush. The mush was a white cornmeal paste formed into bricks, much like cheese. Dad would slice it into thin strips and fry it in bacon grease with the eggs. When I went to college in Springfield in southwest Missouri I found whenever I went out for an early breakfast they served grits with every order. The city boys didn't know what they were and they gave theirs to me. I knew what to do with them.

Back