NF Official Records Set

Non-Fiction

Lubliner

Major
Forum Host
This display from Atlanta on Craigslist appeared recently showing all 128 volumes in very good condition for $1200 dollars.

"Complete 128 Volume Book Set including the General Index of "The War Of The Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records Of The Union and Confederate Armies" Series I, II, III, & IV and General Index.

Books are in very good condition. They need a little cleaning from dust and four of the books have shelf marks with the most significant mark on Series I. Vol. 49. These books have been sitting on the shelf for years. Not sure if they were ever read. See pictures for more detail. Thanks."

I am not the seller, but took particular interest as I have found it uncommon to run across complete sets in good condition, even though as a reprint. I also find the price to be set for selling as a bargain. Can anyone make suggestions of agreement, or am I fooling myself?
I appreciate the feedback.
Lubliner.

While I would love to have a full set, its a matter for a person to set their priorities of where they spend what money they have. I can read the records on-line for free, so unless someone gives me a set, or makes a set available for a small fraction of the asking price I would have to pass.

While I would love to have a full set, its a matter for a person to set their priorities of where they spend what money they have. I can read the records on-line for free, so unless someone gives me a set, or makes a set available for a small fraction of the asking price I would have to pass.
I bought a set of disks with both army and navy for $60 dollars, because the Cornell site was unintelligible with orders of command and unit figures, etc. Plus it is not numbered. My problem with the disks, 2 for army and 1 for navy, is the inability to view more than one at a time. To save my place and refer to another volume can be impossible. I absolutely cherish the few hardbacks I have, being original prints, and $1200 dollars I could swallow in keeping with the price per volume right at ten dollars, but the ability to find wall space, and the yoke in case of future relocation is my problem. "Dear Santa...."
Lubliner.

As soon as a classic or rare Civil War book goes to reprint (especially for the first time), the original tends to come down in price. Likewise when such a rare or classic is digitalized and made free on the web, the original book will come down significantly in value, commonly 50 percent or more. Having said that the Official Records are widely available online now. I remember that when first available online the price of a complete set dropped dramatically, the complete being sold for as low as $500. The 128 volumes were printed on an inferior paper---expect brittle and yellowed pages throughout. The reprint ORs from the 1980s (I believe Morningside Bookstore) are much superior in quality and I'm guessing today command a higher price than the originals. Shipping costs on either set is a factor to consider and again I'm guessing 100 - 200 dollars or so for any set to ship.
In my opinion there is nothing to be gained plinking down $1200 for either an original or reprint set. It's not a good investment, storage is a problem, and at little or no cost a electronic version for research purposes is highly preferable.

Last edited:
In the 1960's, when my Dad was manager of the book department of the University bookstore, he was given single volumes that book salesmen had come across. They are from different university libraries and are random -- my brother and I each got 3 over a few years. UNFORTUNATELY, at some point, original research meant taking a razor blade to the book and cutting out the articles/messages/documents you needed. You can see what the subject of each research was by which items had been cut out of each volume.

I keep them on the living room wall for decoration and do research in the CD versions.

Thank you both, @DaveBrt and @connecticut yankee for the feedback. Good points were made and I agree. The temptation of life as I know it presents itself, and I am wary of it. But you know how temptations sometimes overpower our self-control, and blind us to a clearer conclusion. This is a Christmas Story you understand, and I am just as everyone else in a material society. Offerings of unparalleled delight fill the pages of the sales web with their tantalizing delights. Oh, but how beautiful those books are, and will fill me with such wisdom (snickering). I should satisfy myself with full color original Audubon Field Book of Reptiles and Amphibians, say my prayers and rest my head.
Lubliner.

Back