O-Ee-Yah! Eoh-Ah!

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Although he looks a bit like the Witches' Winkie Guard from the Wizard of Oz, this a militia man in a bearskin cap.

billy bill 7654.jpg

This type of headwear was popular with state militias during the 1850s right up to the Civil War and some states had militia men show up wearing them when they called out their regiments to go off to the Civil War. These bearskins could reach impressive heights. Bearskins were very expensive and only elate militia units could afford the. The bearskins for the Detroit Light Guard in 1855 set the company back $1,500, which in 1855 was a lot of money. many of the companies that wore bearskins also had fatigue uniforms with more sensible caps. This militiaman wears a uniform typical of a particular state, first to name that state is my new uniform hero. Hint in what state did many of the militia units wear white shoulder belts but a black waist belts?

Most of the militia uniforms were influenced by the Napoleon's French troops.
The French had Grenadier regiments that wore bearskin caps but also some of the Line regiments had a Grenadier company that wore them.
The Grenadier would also wear a bicorne hat when not on formal service or during inclement weather. I tried to find an image showing how they strapped the bearskin cap to their pack. They also had a oil skin cover to protect their bearskins when worn in the rain.
Here is a photo of a grenadier regiment wearing their winter overcoats.

attack.jpg

One regiment of Napoleon's Imperial Guard was the 3rd Regiment of Dutch Grenadiers--who wore a white tunic with red facings. The story goes that they were crossing a bridge to go into battle when they order was given to switch from the bicorne hat to the bearskin. To save time, they simple tossed their bicorne caps off the bridge. After that, they never wore a bicorne cap again in march order.
a28fe88287b7dc9f2653cd5d586d7d5a.jpg

One of those things I'm always distracted by. You know. How did this kind of hat become a good idea ( Brits? ) and why and how would a soldier wear that and fight?

And goodness. If whole regiments wore them, that's a lot of bear?

I believe that the idea behind the bearskins was at least partly because it made the soldier look taller and more intimidating.

Very good looking guy! But that bearskin cap is bizarre. ,
Is there anything between the top of the head and the top of the bearskin cap?

Well how many bears are roaming about most European nations today?

More than you might think of! Even in Germany.
Only a few years ago a so-called "problem bear" was killed in Bavaria.

(We have lots of wolves too, btw.)

Back