No Michigan "German" Regiment.

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
Joined
Aug 25, 2012
Messages
15,407
#1
Although the pre Civil War had a large number of "German" militia companies, the state did not form a German regiment. The state probably had enough ethnic German militia companies to form a German regiment. Part of the problem was the leading ethnic German militia companies joined the 1st 1st Michigan Three Months Michigan Infantry Regiment and 2nd Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment. Note that the 1st 1st Michigan Three Months Michigan Infantry Regiment had three comapnies of ethic Germans.

The Steuben Guard (Ann Arbor, Washtenaw County) became Company E of the 1st Michigan Three Months Michigan Infantry Regiment.

The Michigan Hussars a.k.a. Michigan Huzzars a.k.a. Detroit Hussars, a.k.a. the Hussars (Detroit, Wayne County) as infantry, they became Company F of the 1st Michigan Three Month Volunteer Infantry Regiment.

The Marshall Light Guard (Marshall, Calhoun County) became Company I of the 1st Michigan Three Month Volunteer Infantry Regiment.

The Scott Guard (Detroit, Wayne County) was given the honor of being Company A of the 2nd Michigan Infantry Regiment. Company B was the artillery company which was part of this small battalion, they remained at Detroit and helped to secure the Canadian border.

The East Saginaw Guards a.k.a. East Saginaw Military Company a.k.a. The German Military Company (East Saginaw was latter absorbed by the city of Saginaw, Saginaw County) became Company H of the 2nd Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment.

The Yager Guards a.k.a. The Yagers a.k.a. the Jagers, named changed to the Detroit Yagers in May of 1861 (Detroit, Wayne County) was formed by a group of local German-American citizens. They remained in Detroit during the war as a home guard

The Monroe Light Guard (Monroe a.k.a. Monroe City, Monroe County) joined the 7th Michigan Infantry.

The Williams’ German Light Artillery, a.k.a. Company c, Williams’ Battalion a.k.a. the German Company a.k.a. the German Artillery of Lansing (Lansing, Ingham County) The Williams’ German Light Artillery, a.k.a. Company c, Williams’ Battalion a.k.a. the German Company a.k.a. the German Artillery of Lansing (Lansing, Ingham County. They reformed as the The Williams’ Light Infantry and joined the 16th Michigan Infantry Regiment.

The German Rifles a.k.a. Grand Rapids Rifles a.k.a. the German Military Company (Grand Rapids, Kent County) seemed to have disappeared at the start of the Civil War. The men probably joined other area companies going off to war.

The Saginaw City Guard (Saginaw City now known as Saginaw, Saginaw County) was formed in 1860 or earlier. There is little information about them and they probably disbanded early in the war as the men joined companies going off to war.

The Turner Volunteers a.k.a. German Turner Company (Detroit, Wayne County) were formed in 1861 by a German athletic club. They appear to have disbanded early in the war.
 

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!



Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!
Top