No, I don't know when DAWN is....

Gettmore

2nd Lieutenant
Joined
Jul 5, 2015
Location
Moncks Corner, SC
fog of  war sildiers 006CWT.jpg
 
Question? Do reenactors try to match their glasses with glasses that were used during the war? and I wonder how many soldiers wore glasses as I don't often see glasses in pictures. It must have been difficult keeping them clean.
 
Question? Do reenactors try to match their glasses with glasses that were used during the war? and I wonder how many soldiers wore glasses as I don't often see glasses in pictures. It must have been difficult keeping them clean.
Newer reenactor here.
I did my best to find a quality pair of glasses that I can use to not ruin my impression. As of the moment, they have no prescription, so I'm running blind...
20240916_114804.jpg

I can tell you that many times I has to clean my glasses because of smoke, dirt, fingerprint smudges... Etc.

On the flip side, I've talked to reenactors who purchased originals and had changed the lenses for their prescription... and to flip the coin again, one of the Captains of a company in the organization had big bulky modern frames... Which, isn't uncommon.

Imo, Glasses depend on the person's detail to authenticity. A reenactor seeking 100% authenticity will purchase and replace lenses in an original pair.
A reenactor who doesn't want to ruin an original pair (or.. if you're me, I broke a lens on my original pair) you will buy a close enough pair of glasses. My pair is a Townsend 19th century pair purchased online.
A reenactor who just wants to see but doesn't like contacts, and probably isn't worried about authenticity all too much will just stick to their modern pair.

Alternatively, you can simply wear contacts.
I hate contacts.

Ramble complete.


(1st Sgt Koepp made a video shortly discussing glasses for reenactors... here's the link...)
Your Face is Farb!
 
Newer reenactor here.
I did my best to find a quality pair of glasses that I can use to not ruin my impression. As of the moment, they have no prescription, so I'm running blind...
Thank you for the information. It had to be difficult to have poor eyesight in the 1860's while fighting for your life.

What a fun video. I had to smile when they said they were Company D Sharpshooters! I wonder how common it was to wear a strap to keep them on your head. I did like the older man's ear piece. It looked like it was comfortable. Thanks for posting.
 
Thank you for the information. It had to be difficult to have poor eyesight in the 1860's while fighting for your life.

What a fun video. I had to smile when they said they were Company D Sharpshooters! I wonder how common it was to wear a strap to keep them on your head. I did like the older man's ear piece. It looked like it was comfortable. Thanks for posting.
Of course!
Company D, 2nd USSS is a great group. All the members Ive met have been great guys, and definitely people you'd want to set up camp next to.
 
A reenactor who doesn't want to ruin an original pair (or.. if you're me, I broke a lens on my original pair) you will buy a close enough pair of glasses. My pair is a Townsend 19th century pair purchased online.
I purchased some reenactor 19th-century style glasses and was able to get Walgreens to fit prescription lenses into them!
AR
 
Question? Do reenactors try to match their glasses with glasses that were used during the war? and I wonder how many soldiers wore glasses as I don't often see glasses in pictures. It must have been difficult keeping them clean.
Most do if possible, there's reproduction frames available and original frames are around and not very expensive. Myself I could never find a frame that fit my large melon so I just go without. I won't be winning any marksmanship awards without them but I'm not walking into trees either. One thing to remember is at the time most of the enlisted men were young guys so it wouldn't be widely needed. There's not many period photos with guys with glasses
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top