New York Researching Tools

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
I've been researching the bejammers out of something, no end in sight at the moment but thought I'd share some sites which have been unbelievably helpful. If anyone has New York, Civil War ancestors ( or any! ) here are 2 helpful places.

Fulton Postcards, just type that into Google, amazing place recommended by a New York librarian. Someone has scanned an incredible, incredible amount of newspapers from New York- has them in super-findable format on this site. The earliest are from the 1830's, latest 1990's? There are photos there also, although I haven't dared to go start looking through them- fatal, that kind of thing, you just never stop. You just type your word(s) in, and articles with the words come up- tons and tons of them.

Rochestor Library, linked to the New York system, wierdly amazing with what they have and the librarian tells me their Civil War collection is just beyond astonishing. It's a little hard to navigate only because the whole thing is so extensive, but it you call any of the numbers listed, someone will point you in the right direction. I called, talked to someone who helped me for a good 30 minutes and then I discovered I'd called the wrong department- this woman helped me anyway! Too funny. At the end of the conversation she said ' Oh, let me give you the number for the department you'll need.... ', after which it transpired it wasn't at ALL her job to answer these questions. She was just THAT nice.

Coincidence...or Design....I too am researching and just now came across the New York State Military History Museum located in the historic armory in Saratoga Springs, NY on on line at http://dmna.ny.gov/historic/about.htm It has a collection of artifacts dateing from Pre-Revolution to current day, however, most importantly for this forum it has a collection of Civil War newspaper clippings, Unit Histories and Photographs.

Thanks very much, Sloan. I spent yesterday's alloted research time tooling around articles- wowza, the pages from 1860 through 65, you just ended up saving every, single one. There's war news ( of course ) ALL the heck all over them, it's crazy, crazy, crazy to read all of it, connect so much to what you know linearly of history. There's also tidbits like " General Fremantle is organising his papers, thanks all his well wishers ". You know what that's about! Also little pithy speeches on the down-fall of the south due to their wrongness of thought, etc., and of course much about Lincoln not being tough enough, needing to take a harder line with anyone not championing black folks. THEN, in the same state, a paper printing an awful letter from the front all about how none of the ex-slaves wished to work any more. That was crazy, too, since other letters were just screaming equality. The part of New York our family was from, and Rochestor, where their politics were ( and Seward ) were heavily abolitionist, makes for amazing reading.

I can't believe you said the word 'photograph'. Rats. Now I'll be plugged into yet another site while real work gets cold.

I kept getting distracted by Naval News- all you have to do is type in " Port Royal " or even " Gunboat " " 1862 " etc, to get 2,000 hits. I'm copying bits here and there apart from the research I'm doing, going to post some here. It's just flattening, so, so, fascinating.

Thanks JPK Hudson. I'm straining my eyes to read some old newspapers now.

Thanks JPK Hudson. I'm straining my eyes to read some old newspapers now.
Please help. Looking for New York vol 116th company D, Philipp Schomaker (Shchumaker) died after war at Plain Store LA. Trying to find his burial in one of the cemeteries in Louisiana with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bflo

Thank you for posting the research reference. Having grown up in NY and family dating to the 1890s I was able to find info I never had access to, THANK YOU

@SoldierHero -I tried different spellings (including Shoemaker, Shoemacher, Shumacher) and didn't see your soldier in the NY papers.

Yes he is in the holdings of the Buffalo Historical society. Many times listed. Also in one New York paper, times or something where in fact they had spelling of fellow soldier listed as "OCnilcott" it should be Owen Chilcott 116th company D.

The pension papers have it spelled as Schumaker, Philip. It could be spelled many different ways.
Thanks for looking into this for me...

img.jpg

shoemakerPhilippdeathpage39.jpeg.jpg

Back