Need help identifying this Buttplate.

Tangidigger

Cadet
Hi, I found this butt plate while metal detecting in south Louisiana yesterday at a known battle site. I don't know a lot about civil war arms but from some research I did this appears to closely resemble the Muster 1844 Kammerbüchse rifle which was used by Federal troops. The dovetailed patch box is very similar to it also. The only drawback I see is the curvature of my plate as the Kammerbüchse is straighter than mine. Any help identifying this piece will be greatly appreciated.

20190804_185520 (002).jpg

20190804_185609 (002).jpg

Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. I really don't have a clue as the notch is a lot larger than any CW musket I know that had a patch box.

I would say you are correct about it quite possibly being from the M1844/49/54 Jaeger rifle. Remember those were hand made and the butt plate was the same as for several different weapons from several different arsenals. They are not even remotely interchangeable and the style was made in several minor variations up through the Muster 1854.

I would say you are correct about it quite possibly being from the M1844/49/54 Jaeger rifle. Remember those were hand made and the butt plate was the same as for several different weapons from several different arsenals. They are not even remotely interchangeable and the style was made in several minor variations up through the Muster 1854.

Thanks, I felt it was the same but that curvature was throwing me.

Welcome to the forums from the host of the Stonewall Jackson Forum!

IMHO, it is not military at all, and that what you have is the remnants of an early Kentucky Rifle butt plate.
J.

Not military but might have been one of those 'country rifles' then in use.

IMHO, it is not military at all, and that what you have is the remnants of an early Kentucky Rifle butt plate.
J.
Thanks for your info. Can you supply a picture of a Kentucky rifle with a dovetailed cutout or advise me where I can find one as I have been unable to find an example.

Thanks for your info. Can you supply a picture of a Kentucky rifle with a dovetailed cutout or advise me where I can find one as I have been unable to find an example.

Heres a link showing some pictures which includes a buttplate with a sliding wooden patchbox

A friend recently completed a Kibler kit with a sliding wood box and it is absolutely gorgeous with the upgraded wood he ordered! He said it was a pure delight to work on, too. I was all ready to order one and then common sense set in. I don't shoot the long rifles I have now, so why build another one to sit in the rack?
J.

Last edited:
A friend recently completed a Kibler kit with a sliding wood box and it is absolutely gorgeous with the upgraded wood he ordered! He said it was a pure delight to work on, too. I all was ready to order one and then common sense set in. I don't shoot the long rifles I have now, so why build another one to sit in the rack?
J.
I'm glad to hear the Kibler kit met with your approval. I got the SMR when it came out 2 years ago, and the Colonial is waiting to be put together. Both will be handed down to someone in my family.
And if I let common sense govern how I have spent my money, I would have been able to retire about 10 years ago!

Back