National Infantry Museum

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
In about three weeks I will be attending a military history convention in Columbus Georgia. One of the activities will be a bus trip to the National Infantry Museum. Is it worth the trip? It appears that the museum staff will provide us a tour. I am not sure I can spend 4 hours looking at exhibits at the museum. The museum will provide us a box lunch. Really? I have ate infantry box lunches and was not overly impressed. An additional stop is the Tank Shop. I guess I should take my camera.

Being the first day of the conference I could sleep in and take my wife out to a "real lunch".

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

rebel brit

Sergeant Major
In about three weeks I will be attending a military history convention in Columbus Georgia. One of the activities will be a bus trip to the National Infantry Museum. Is it worth the trip?
Hi @major bill , hope you enjoyed the convention, just wondering did you get to the museum and was it worth it ?
We're just planning our trip over to Vicksburg and as we're flying into Atlanta, was thinking whether to make it our first stop.

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
I liked the Infantry Museum. It is very well done and is an award winning museum. It covers the entire history of US Infantry. It is not the kind of museum that will show ever rife or sword ever used by the Army.

If you go, the National Civil War Naval Museum is very near. Although this is a good museum it is not on par with the Infantry Museum.

We got a tour of the huge basement storage room which you will not get to see. We also got to visit the building where they are storing items (thanks and such) for the still to be built Armor Museum. So it was nice to see special items the general public can not see.

I liked the Infantry Museum. It is very well done and is an award winning museum. It covers the entire history of US Infantry. It is not the kind of museum that will show ever rife or sword ever used by the Army.

If you go, the National Civil War Naval Museum is very near. Although this is a good museum it is not on par with the Infantry Museum.

We got a tour of the huge basement storage room which you will not get to see. We also got to visit the building where they are storing items (thanks and such) for the still to be built Armor Museum. So it was nice to see special items the general public can not see.
I spent over 20 years in the Infantry and never once got back to Benning after Infantry school.
Is the Infantry Museum on Ft. Benning?
I could probably get on post using my retired ID?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!