Namesake City For Gen Patrick Cleburne

J. D. Stevens

Sergeant
Joined
Dec 11, 2016
Location
Deep In The Heart of Texas
In 2007, a thread on this Other Notable Biographies forum titled "Stonewall Jackson of the West - Patrick Ronayne Cleburne" by #Scone already provides us with a good history of Gen Cleburne and his service therefore it will not be repeated here. My intent is to provide a little information regarding the city of Cleburne, Texas that honored the general by taking his name and clarify the pronunciation of the same. By a strange coincidence, it also happens to be where I was born. Last year I attended an excellent three day Franklin tour where we were privileged to have several prominent historians as our tour leaders on different days and areas of the tour. All of them pronounced the general's name as "Clay-burn" which I am sure is the correct pronunciation. Up until last year, it was my understanding the county seat of Johnson County, Texas was pronounced, "Clee-burn." Since I no longer live there and my folks moved away from the area when only a youngster, I thought it possible my hearing had led me astray in my younger years. Monday I visited Cleburne to look for family land records in the county clerks office at the court house.

As I was leaving, a thought occurred to me. There were three very helpful ladies working in the office. I turned around, walked back in and asked the first lady "What is the name of this town?" She looked rather surprised I did not know where I was and said, "Clee-burn." Looking at the second lady, I asked the same question and got the same baffled look and answer, "Clee-burn." Looking at the third lady who looked as if she was about to call security I asked the same question and she replied totally mystified, "Clee-burn." Before they hit the alarm to call the constable, I explained myself and thanked them for setting the record straight as to how Gen Pat Clee-burn's name is supposed to be pronounced, at least in Texas.

My apologies for boring anyone bored enough to read this, so a few pictures are being posted which may compensate. The first picture is a monument erected by the State of Texas


P1010700.JPG

The opposite side is dedicated to the namesake of Johnson County, Texas, Col. M. T. Johnson, commander of the 14th Texas Calvary, CSA.

P1010708.JPG

Monument to Confederate Veterans - This is about as plain as I have seen for a memorial. No wordy fluff. It simply states, "Erected by the Pat Cleburne Chapter UDC - December 1917" and at the bottom, "Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865." That's it, nothing else on the other sides. It said all it had to say.

P1010729.JPG

I hope this thread is posted in the proper forum. They should have a forum titled "Items of Little Consequence or Interest to Anyone" where threads like this should be posted.
 
In 2007, a thread on this Other Notable Biographies forum titled "Stonewall Jackson of the West - Patrick Ronayne Cleburne" by #Scone already provides us with a good history of Gen Cleburne and his service therefore it will not be repeated here. My intent is to provide a little information regarding the city of Cleburne, Texas that honored the general by taking his name and clarify the pronunciation of the same. By a strange coincidence, it also happens to be where I was born. Last year I attended an excellent three day Franklin tour where we were privileged to have several prominent historians as our tour leaders on different days and areas of the tour. All of them pronounced the general's name as "Clay-burn" which I am sure is the correct pronunciation. Up until last year, it was my understanding the county seat of Johnson County, Texas was pronounced, "Clee-burn." Since I no longer live there and my folks moved away from the area when only a youngster, I thought it possible my hearing had led me astray in my younger years. Monday I visited Cleburne to look for family land records in the county clerks office at the court house.

As I was leaving, a thought occurred to me. There were three very helpful ladies working in the office. I turned around, walked back in and asked the first lady "What is the name of this town?" She looked rather surprised I did not know where I was and said, "Clee-burn." Looking at the second lady, I asked the same question and got the same baffled look and answer, "Clee-burn." Looking at the third lady who looked as if she was about to call security I asked the same question and she replied totally mystified, "Clee-burn." Before they hit the alarm to call the constable, I explained myself and thanked them for setting the record straight as to how Gen Pat Clee-burn's name is supposed to be pronounced, at least in Texas.

My apologies for boring anyone bored enough to read this, so a few pictures are being posted which may compensate. The first picture is a monument erected by the State of Texas


View attachment 176288
The opposite side is dedicated to the namesake of Johnson County, Texas, Col. M. T. Johnson, commander of the 14th Texas Calvary, CSA.

View attachment 176290
Monument to Confederate Veterans - This is about as plain as I have seen for a memorial. No wordy fluff. It simply states, "Erected by the Pat Cleburne Chapter UDC - December 1917" and at the bottom, "Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865." That's it, nothing else on the other sides. It said all it had to say.

View attachment 176291
I hope this thread is posted in the proper forum. They should have a forum titled "Items of Little Consequence or Interest to Anyone" where threads like this should be posted.
Funny! Thanks for sharing.
It is often baffling how locals pronounce the names of communities all over our country. One is never certain who is right....
 
Simply said, CLAY-burn was a Confederate general, and CLEE-burn is a town in Texas. We have the same pronunciation difficulties with a certain county in Arkansas ;-)
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top