What is this? Mystery Musket

Merry Christmas to all! My parents surprised me with this musket for Christmas and I was curious about what kind, exactly, it is.
These are some details i can offer:

MIDD TN
CONN

US
NET(A?)RR

20191225_102746.jpg

We would love to see photos of the entire musket.Without seeing the conversion part it is indeed a Model 1816 musket made by Starr. Photos of the conversion to percussion will tell us the type. Nice Christmas present.

I agree on it being a Mod. 1816. Most 1816s were converted to percussion and were used into the Indian wars. They have a fascinating history, Texas Revolution, War With Mexico, Civil War and everything in between. In fact they have a longer service life than most American muskets. A great gift from you parents. Congratulations.

The first musket I brought home was an 1816. When I told my wife what it was, the first thing she said was, "Jefferson was alive when that was made. You don't get to take it up to you office. It stays in the living room." You will find that the more you research them the more interesting they get.

It looks like part of the muzzle was chopped off or do my eyes deceive me ? (The rest of my body parts deceive me all the time) With this one, I'd leave it as a percussion conversion. It needs some TLC but don't over do it. Steel wool and oil on the iron/steel parts. Wood preservation and cleaning has been discussed in other threads and there is a LOT of good info out there on what to do and NOT to do. My 1816 is an Evans contract that I rescued from a junk store 10 years ago.
I agree on it being a Mod. 1816. Most 1816s were converted to percussion and were used into the Indian wars. They have a fascinating history, Texas Revolution, War With Mexico, Civil War and everything in between. In fact they have a longer service life than most American muskets. A great gift from you parents. Congratulations.
FWIW: G.W. Tryon of Philadelphia copied this pattern for the Republic of Texas. I saw one at a show in Houston some 20 plus years ago. Price tag was $10,000

I read somewhere that they were at both the Alamo and at San Jacinto during the Texas Revolution and they were the musket for the taking of on Mexico City in the Mexican War, still in flint lock. Converted to percussion they were used extensively early in the Civil War and through the end of the war by Veterans Corps and such. After the war they went west in civilian hands and units such as Indian Police, etc. Long history.

Back