Moving Christmas Letter

NH Civil War Gal

Major
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Joined
Feb 5, 2017
From The National Museum of Civil War Medicine

A moving Christmas letter from a Civil War soldier to his wife, written from his hospital bed in Arkansas.

"To-day & to-night you are as busy as you can be, I suppose, with your Christmas Tree and other holiday arrangements for the children, but not too busy, I know, to think of me and wish I could be with you to see and help, as I am wishing I could be, even for a day.

"To-morrow we are having a Christmas dinner at our hospital... I have thought I would hang up my stocking tonight, for I feel almost certain I should get something in it - say a dose of pills or a quinine powder!"

- Lt. Thomas Nichols Stevens of the 28th Wisconsin Co. C writing to his wife from Little Rock, Arkansas as he recovered from an illness.

Photo Credit: A hospital ward in Washington, D.C., Library of Congress

1735058663193.png
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top