Monument Data

datameister

Private
A little something I'm putting together. I used Stone Sentinels as a framework but used a number of sources. For the most part, I took the name from Stone Sentinels, then found the monument on Google Maps, copying and pasting the lat/long into the spreadsheet...many, many hours of work. Now, I shall begin to validate and add to the data, and, of course, produce some maps.

I can only guarantee one thing. There are mistakes. As such, if you have any obvious errors or omissions, please let me know. If you think a point of interest should be included e.g. Field Hospital locations please advise.

I spent the morning of May 12 in that miserable tropical downpour trying to verify some points but ended the endeavor early after getting soaked. One thing I couldn't find is the point where F Co. of the 20th Maine hunkered down with some Sharpshooters. I inquired at the visitor center about the origin dates of the headquarter markers without success. They did mention that this was funded by the old War Department.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MIEkhGHgGxE1_lMp_GdfgPhvgBxkCZ-5ZArY4YWHTbk/edit?usp=sharing

Wow, outstanding work.

Respectfully,
William

One Nation,
Two countries
Confed-American Flag - Thumbnail.jpg

A very crude map. Click an icon to see which monument it is what year dedicated, if in my data.

http://rpubs.com/undsioux88/gettysburg_monuments

I shall improve this map over time with such things as representative icons etc.

Hope you enjoy. I'm going to turn this into an app where you can click an icon and then within the popup, you can select a hyperlink to say regimental history or order of battle or something. I'll figure it out later.

Need to add some of the town's landmarks like the Jenny Wade House and of course, the Garryowen Irish Pub.

Last edited:
This kind of thing is needed.
Also, I would love to find someone plot all the flank markers to study where the veterans believed their units were positioned. Such a map does not exist as far as I know!

I've considered that possibility. I do not believe there is a data set compiled of those markers and such an undertaking would be time-consuming. As you say, this is a needed endeavor. I've often questioned the location of Cutler's Brigade markers on Reynolds Ave.

I've only been on the ground there 4 times in 7 years, but if I get relocated to the D.C., Northern VA area, I will be there every weekend to sort this all out.

I've often questioned the location of Cutler's Brigade markers on Reynolds Ave.

If you are referring to the 6th Wisconsin, 95th New York, and 84th New York, the 6th Wisconsin is pretty close but the 2 New York regiments are too far east. The 84th New York had the McPherson Farm to its immediate rear with the 95th New York between the 84th New York and 6th Wisconsin.

The 147th New York had their fight to themonument's northwest and the rest of Cutler's brigade rallied along in the woods roughly across the street from modern Seminary Ridge Road (their left flank would have been a short distance north northwest of Lee's Headquarters). The 3 guns from Stewart's Battery B, 4th U.S. Artillery just to the west of Lee's HQ would have been to the left rear of the left flank of the 6th Wisconsin which was the left flank regiment along Cutler's line.

Ryan

I've considered that possibility. I do not believe there is a data set compiled of those markers and such an undertaking would be time-consuming. As you say, this is a needed endeavor.

A month ago, I actually ran into a park ranger searching for flank markers on Culps Hill. I would have thought that he would have access to that kind of data, but he admitted that no list or map of these flank markers exists. Amazing for a place like Gettysburg in this day and age!

Back