Golden Thread MOH recipients A-B

pb.jpg

Peter M. Boehm

15th New York Cavalry at Dinwiddie Courthouse, Va., 31 March 1865.

Citations:
While acting as aide to General Custer, took a flag from the hands of color bearer, rode in front of a line that was being driven back and, under a heavy fire, rallied the men, re-formed the line, and repulsed the charge.

Bonebrake.jpg

Henry G. Bonebrake - History of the Seventeenth Regiment, Pa. Volunteer Cavalry

17th Pennsylvania Cavalry at Five Forks, Va., 1 April 1865. Medal issued 3 May 1865.

Citation:
As 1 of the first of Devin's Division to enter the works, he fought in a hand-to-hand struggle with a Confederate to capture his flag by superior physical strength.

Sylvester Bonnaffon, Jr.jpg

Sylvester Bonnaffon, Jr - National Guard of Pennsylvania 1861-1911

99th Pennsylvania Infantry at Boydton Plank Road, Va., 27 October 1864. Medial issued 29 September 1893.

Citation:
Checked the rout and rallied the troops of his command in the face of a terrible fire of musketry; was severely wounded.

View attachment 309934
Sylvester Bonnaffon, Jr - National Guard of Pennsylvania 1861-1911

99th Pennsylvania Infantry at Boydton Plank Road, Va., 27 October 1864. Medial issued 29 September 1893.

Citation:
Checked the rout and rallied the troops of his command in the face of a terrible fire of musketry; was severely wounded.
Note some of the salient differences in what Bonnaffon is wearing and the usual Civil War version of the same thing: This is the m.1872 five-button sack or fatigue blouse; note especially the pointed collar and cuff buttons, both of which its predecessor lacks. His headgear is the m.1872 forage cap, not as yet the pancake-flat version it would become by the 1890's, and sporting the infantry crossed rifles insignia that replaced the hunting or chasseur horn around 1875. It's hard to tell, but these are probably also the noticeably smaller officer's shoulder straps too.

bouquet.jpg

Nicholas Bouquet (Boquet) - DOV

1st Iowa Infantry at Wilsons Creek, Mo., 10 August 1861. Medal issued 16 February 1897.

Citation:
Voluntarily left the line of battle, and, exposing himself to imminent danger from a heavy fire of the enemy, assisted in capturing a riderless horse at large between the lines and hitching him to a disabled gun, saved the gun from capture.

box.jpg

Thomas J. Box - I can't find this photo with Google or Bing. It might be the first time any of you see a photo of him.

27th Indiana Infantry at Resaca, Ga., 14 May 1864. Medal issued 7 April 1865.

Citation:
Capture of flag of the 38th Alabama Infantry (C.S.A.).

tb12goat.jpg

Thomas W. Bradley - The Successful American, 1904

124th New York Infantry at Chancellorsville, Va., 3 May 1863. Medal issued 10 June 1896.

Citation:
Volunteered in response to a call and alone, in the face of a heavy fire of musketry and canister, went and procured ammunition for the use of his comrades.

cb.jpg

Charles W. Brouse

100th Indiana Infantry at Missionary Ridge, Tenn., 25 November 1863. Medal issued 16 May 1899.

Citation:
To encourage his men whom he had ordered to lie down while under severe fire, and who were partially protected by slight earthworks, himself refused to lie down, but walked along the top of the works until he fell severely wounded.

@JPK Huson 1863 gave we a website for Charles Brown and another MOH recipient. Brown was with the 50th Pennsylvania Infantry and his action took place at the Second Battle of the Weldon Railroad, Va., 19 August 1864.

Citation:
Capture of flag of 47th Virginia Infantry (C.S.A.).

cbb.jpg
cba.jpg

http://schuylkillhavenhistory.com/CIVILWAR.html

I did some retouching before I used a cloning tool and ended up with the final version. Annie, I emailed his photo and Henry Hill's photo to the archivist at the Congressional Medal of Honor Society. Thank you for your important help finding photos of these men!

Last edited:
jzb.jpg

Jeremiah Z. Brown - The Story of our Regiment: a History of the 148th Pennsylvania Vols., 1904

148th Pennsylvania Infantry at Petersburg, Va., 27 October 1864.

Citation:
With 100 selected volunteers, assaulted and captured the works of the enemy, together with a number of officers and men.

Be sure and note the private purchase officer's quality Second Corps badge pinned to the breast of his fashionably-open frock coat.

I got a couple photos out of order. 22 men named 'Brown' have the MOH.
ebjr.jpg

Edward Brown, Jr - DOV

62d New York Infantry at Second Battle of Fredericksburg and Salem Heights, Va., 3-4 May 1863. Medal issued 24 November 1880.

Citation:
Severely wounded while carrying the colors, he continued at his post, under fire, until ordered to the rear.

MOH.jpg

Henri Le Fevre Brown - History of the Third Regiment, Excelsior Brigade, 72d New York Volunteer Infantry, 1861-1865, 1902

72nd New York Infantry at Battle of the Wilderness, Va., 6 May 1864. Medal issued 23 June 1896.

Citation:
Voluntarily and under a heavy fire from the enemy, 3 times crossed the field of battle with a load of ammunition in a blanket on his back, thus supplying the Federal forces, whose ammunition had nearly all been expended, and enabling them to hold their position until reinforcement arrived, when the enemy were driven from their position.

rbb.jpg

Robert B. Brown - Journal of the National Encampment of the Grand Army of the Republic, Volume 41, 1907

15th Ohio Infantry at Missionary Ridge, Tenn., 25 November 1863. Medal awarded 27 March 1890.

Citation:
Upon reaching the ridge through concentrated fire, he approached the color bearer of the 9th Mississippi Infantry (C.S.A.), demanded his surrender with threatening gesture and took him prisoner with his regimental flag.

UB.jpg

Uriah Brown - DOV

30th Ohio Infantry at Vicksburg, Miss., 22 May 1863. Medal awarded 15 August 1894.

Citation:
Despite the death of his captain at his side during the assault he continued carrying his log to the defense ditch. While he was laying his log in place he was shot down and thrown into the water. Unmindful of his own wound he, despite the intense fire, dragged 5 of his comrades from the ditch, wherein they lay wounded, to a place of safety.

@JPK Huson 1863 gave we a website for Charles Brown and another MOH recipient. Brown was with the 50th Pennsylvania Infantry and his action took place at the Second Battle of the Weldon Railroad, Va., 19 August 1864.

Citation:
Capture of flag of 47th Virginia Infantry (C.S.A.).

View attachment 311178View attachment 311180
http://schuylkillhavenhistory.com/CIVILWAR.html

I did some retouching before I used a cloning tool and ended up with the final version. Annie, I emailed his photo and Henry Hill's photo to the archivist at the Congressional Medal of Honor Society. Thank you for your important help finding photos of these men!

Thanks very much! Brown wrote one of the witness documents for my grgrgrandfather's pension applications. We were able to get a copy. It's a little surreal seeing Brown's writing and ' hearing ' his words. This is valuable work you're doing but hopefully you know that.

Back