Mobile, AL History Museum

vmicraig

Sergeant
Stopped by the History Museum of Mobile last weekend while killing a couple hours. Nice local museum with a wide variety of historical vignettes, from Mardi Gras displays to a collection of beautiful horse drawn carriages. There is also a decent collection of ACW artifacts that compliment the portion of the museum dedicated to the history of Mobile during the Civil War. Across the street is Fort Conde (aka Fort Chrlotte) constructed by the French in 1723. Both are worth a visit if you happen to be passing through.

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

Stopped by the History Museum of Mobile last weekend while killing a couple hours. Nice local museum with a wide variety of historical vignettes, from Mardi Gras displays to a collection of beautiful horse drawn carriages. There is also a decent collection of ACW artifacts that compliment the portion of the museum dedicated to the history of Mobile during the Civil War. Across the street is Fort Conde (aka Fort Chrlotte) constructed by the French in 1723. Both are worth a visit if you happen to be passing through.

View attachment 258055

View attachment 258056

View attachment 258057

View attachment 258058

View attachment 258059

View attachment 258060

View attachment 258061

View attachment 258062

View attachment 258063

View attachment 258064

View attachment 258066

View attachment 258067

View attachment 258068

View attachment 258069

View attachment 258070

View attachment 258072

View attachment 258073

View attachment 258074
One of the CSS Alabama's broadside guns is there, the last time that I saw it, it was in a big tub of water next to the CSS Hunley in Charleston. The Phoenix Fire Museum and Raphael Semmes' house is nearby also. Photo from the History Museum of Mobile.
l_css_alabama_cannon (2).jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the photos. As a coincidence, my wife and I head out tomorrow for Dauphin Island. I don't generally go into cities but those photos convinced me I need to get out some. My wife has been to the museum and asked me to go along but I've always conjured up an excuse to avoid going into Mobile. I visit Battleship Alabama each winter, maybe I can add a museum to my visits.

Thanks for posting the photos. As a coincidence, my wife and I head out tomorrow for Dauphin Island. I don't generally go into cities but those photos convinced me I need to get out some. My wife has been to the museum and asked me to go along but I've always conjured up an excuse to avoid going into Mobile. I visit Battleship Alabama each winter, maybe I can add a museum to my visits.
Hopefully the cold won't follow you down, it chilly enough here right now and the museum is worth the stop.

Hopefully the cold won't follow you down, it chilly enough here right now and the museum is worth the stop.
This is our 6th year to go to Dauphin Island and each year its been colder than the year before, last winter it snowed there. I was not going to travel this winter cause it been getting colder each year in the south, but this will be a short trip so the wife coaxed me into going along. I'm afraid that I'll be followed down with the cold air again.

I'm sure anxious to visit that museum. My wife thinks I'll enjoy it. The Alabama is a real treat for me, go there every year. Being able to climb into those gun mounts is pretty awesome. After standing BM of the watch on Destroyers its hard for me to imagine being on watch on a ship that size. If it warms up I'm going to give Fort Gaines an afternoon as well this trip.

After standing BM of the watch on Destroyers its hard for me to imagine being on watch on a ship that size. If it warms up I'm going to give Fort Gaines an afternoon as well this trip.

Salute! I spent my USMC sea time (15 months) on amphibs - LPD’s, LSD’s and LST’s. They fall in between the DD’s and BB’s size wise, but still far smaller than the Bama. I love going aboard her. Hope you enjoy your museum visit. Stop by Fort Conde next door while you are there

Back