Uniforms Military Academy Cadet Jacket

bobinwmass

Sergeant
I just picked up this jacket that would have been worn by a cadet at the Highland Military Academy in Worcester, Massachusetts. Thirteen year old John F. Wilcox, a cadet attending the academy in 1864, wears the same style jacket in the CDV I already have in my collection. Founded in 1856, the Academy added military instruction to its curriculum in 1858. By 1864, some 298 boys had attended the Academy, at least 50 of whom served in the Civil War, many losing their lives in the conflict. Lt J. W. Grout of the 15th Massachusetts Infantry was killed at Ball's Bluff on October 21, 1861. Only 18, due to his military instruction at the Academy, Grout was recruited to help train new enlistees when the regiment was formed. The highest rank attained by any cadet was Brevet Brig. General, issued to William X. Green Jr, who lost his life as Lt. Colonel of the 173rd New York Infantry. Younger cadets remaining at the school during the war years participated in patriotic parades, military funerals, and in ceremonies sending regiments off to war and welcoming them back.

Despite a lot of moth holes, the jacket presents pretty well. It is missing one of the larger coat buttons. What is the general consensus out there about finding an original button to put on the jacket? The ones with the correct earlier Scovill backmark to match the others on the jacket can occasionally by found for about $25 to $30. Or should I leave as is since though an original button, it would not be original to this particular jacket.

20210711_183435.jpg

20210711_183309.jpg

I like the jacket. I have wondered if a book showing all the known Civil War era cadet uniforms would not make a great reference resource. I some one produced one I am sure I would purchase it.

I just picked up this jacket that would have been worn by a cadet at the Highland Military Academy in Worcester, Massachusetts. Thirteen year old John F. Wilcox, a cadet attending the academy in 1864, wears the same style jacket in the CDV I already have in my collection. Founded in 1856, the Academy added military instruction to its curriculum in 1858. By 1864, some 298 boys had attended the Academy, at least 50 of whom served in the Civil War, many losing their lives in the conflict. Lt J. W. Grout of the 15th Massachusetts Infantry was killed at Ball's Bluff on October 21, 1861. Only 18, due to his military instruction at the Academy, Grout was recruited to help train new enlistees when the regiment was formed. The highest rank attained by any cadet was Brevet Brig. General, issued to William X. Green Jr, who lost his life as Lt. Colonel of the 173rd New York Infantry. Younger cadets remaining at the school during the war years participated in patriotic parades, military funerals, and in ceremonies sending regiments off to war and welcoming them back.

Despite a lot of moth holes, the jacket presents pretty well. It is missing one of the larger coat buttons. What is the general consensus out there about finding an original button to put on the jacket? The ones with the correct earlier Scovill backmark to match the others on the jacket can occasionally by found for about $25 to $30. Or should I leave as is since though an original button, it would not be original to this particular jacket.

View attachment 407712

View attachment 407713
I would replace if you want to, some of the other buttons could possibly have been replaced along the way. You can certainly tell by thread and attaching method.

I would replace if you want to, some of the other buttons could possibly have been replaced along the way. You can certainly tell by thread and attaching method.
That's true. I know the bottom 2 were reattached as whoever did it used fishing line, not a very authentic repair. So it may have replacement buttons already. I shall begin my search.

If it were mine I would replace the missing button, as long as the correct matching Scovill buttons are available. And while at it, also re-sew the ones held on with fishing line too!

If it were mine I would replace the missing button, as long as the correct matching Scovill buttons are available. And while at it, also re-sew the ones held on with fishing line too!
But that fishing line does work so well! It's exactly what I used when I converted a relatively modern Norwich University cadet jacket to a "Civil War" uniform for my nephew to wear on halloween (removed the ball buttons and replaced with repro eagles, flipped the chevrons, and added shoulder scales.) Added a repro saber belt and I don't think you could find a happier 11 year old.

20210805_164921.jpg

Back