Michigan issued gray uniforms

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
I am intersted in early Civil War Michigan issued uniforms. The top image (not real clear) is most likely the gray uniform Michigan issued to NCOs attending the early war school of instruction. Although it is equally unclear is the second image possibly of the same uniform? There appears to be similarities. Note the line of stitching in the center of the collars to help the collar stand upright.

When I am at the State of Michigan Archives in the next couple of weeks I may have them bring out the original images and study them.

class 4.jpg
8 aa.jpg

Last edited:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
Out of a book so poor image, but possibly the same uniform. I am more convinced that I need to look at all three originals. I do not believe the soldier in the second image in post #1 would have attended the Michigan School/Camp of Instruction.

class 8.jpg

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
The same Detroit commercial tailor made the gray uniforms for the Michigan Camp of Instruction and made the gray uniforms for the 4th Michigan Infantry. I am attempting to better understand the 4th Michigan Infantry gray uniforms by studying the uniforms the same tailor made for the Camp of Instruction.

John Hartwell

Major
Forum Host
Gray uniforms were not uncommon with prewar militia both North and South. Each company generally chose its uniform color: blue was most popular, but "militia gray" was also common. Early in the war many northern regiments contained a mix of blue and gray-clad companies.

The idea of gray as an American uniform color began with the new regiments Winfield Scott raised during the War of 1812. Sufficient blue cloth was not available to make their uniforms, but there was plenty of gray. That's also the origin of West Point's cadet gray.

It seems that the 3rd Michigan Volunteer Infantry was initially issued gray uniforms as well. Attached is a photo of three Taylor brothers from Company "I" taken in June or July of 1861 shortly after the regiment was formed in Grand Rapids, MI. Interesting to note that besides these 3 brothers, there were 4 Waite brothers who also enlisted in the same company "I" of the 3rd Michigan.
Taylor.jpeg

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
Their gray uniforms were made by a Grand Rapids business man and apear to have 10 buttons instead of 9, and the collars look to be shorter.

It's hard to tell from this photo but Pvt. Birmingham's jacket may have been dark gray? Or perhaps this photo was taken after the 3rd Michigan Infantry got new blue coats around the time of 1st Bull Run?
Pvt Birmingham.jpg